• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tories are 'party of lower taxes'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    the real intention should be to be the party that raises the most tax revenues. As we've seen elsewhere, that might mean cutting some to encourage growth.
    Unfortunately I don't see the Tories thinking this way any longer. They're taking a binary approach to taxation i.e. Just increase direct taxes, because:
    - it's easier for the electorate to compare and contrast with current. That somehow makes things more transparent and therefore to be 'trusted'.
    - it shows 'fairness'.
    - it's relatively simple to push through. And lord knows May and the team have bigger fish to fry in the next 2 years.
    - it's about as much as Hammond's young advisors (no doubt inherited from Osborne's BTL era) can get their heads around.

Direct taxes will simply increase. SME's and middle England employed will get taped the most.
    Hammond and his team of luvvies won't go for the large corporations. The Tories will have enough Brexit-related problems there and May will tell him to leave off.

I reckon the marginal rate band will fall progressively again. VAT will go up. NI will go up. CT will go up. Pensions will be hit. The £2k divi exemption will disappear (2018-19), followed a year later by an increase to the current 7.5% tax for basic rate payers. Will prob go up to 20% because it's a nice round number, it's binary and 'fair'. And it's a populist measure that will go down well with the PAYE class.

The likes of Caffe Nero, Amazon, banks, Spirts Direct and so on will be overlooked, since the Tories will do a deal to retain their presence in UK post-Brexit.

We are so fooked...
    "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      It's the wrong argument anyway. Sadly that is the soundbite that will appeal to the average voter.

However, the real intention should be to be the party that raises the most tax revenues. As we've seen elsewhere, that might mean cutting some to encourage growth. Labour's brainless approach is to up the rates, thus encouraging both avoidance and departure...
      You know, I've often wondered, given that all parties attempting to get elected will lie, and given that the average voter is thick as pig doings, why doesn't a political party just go the whole hog and come out with the most egregious, but voter swaying lie possible?

If it were me, I'd simply run on a manifesto that said, "Vote for me, and everyone that does gets £1 million!". I'd keep repeating the mantra over and over again, even when challenged (you know, ala the brexit lot with their £350 million a week to the EU nonsense). Come election day, the voters would fall for it hook, line & sinker, I'd get elected to power then deny any and all knowledge of ever making such a ridiculous claim in the first place.

Since there's never any consequences for parties who break their manifesto pledges, there's nothing to worry about, and this is a win, win, surefire way to get elected to power. Surely?

Comment

Why promise million when hundred quid buys you the votes and you can take it back with stealth taxes?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
          You know, I've often wondered, given that all parties attempting to get elected will lie, and given that the average voter is thick as pig doings, why doesn't a political party just go the whole hog and come out with the most egregious, but voter swaying lie possible?

If it were me, I'd simply run on a manifesto that said, "Vote for me, and everyone that does gets £1 million!". I'd keep repeating the mantra over and over again, even when challenged (you know, ala the brexit lot with their £350 million a week to the EU nonsense). Come election day, the voters would fall for it hook, line & sinker, I'd get elected to power then deny any and all knowledge of ever making such a ridiculous claim in the first place.

Since there's never any consequences for parties who break their manifesto pledges, there's nothing to worry about, and this is a win, win, surefire way to get elected to power. Surely?
          Don't forget to promise a wall around the country and to drain the swamp too.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Since the Tories are raising taxes, that can only mean that they like to indulge their unnatural instincts.
            I would put the abbopotumus down as an unnatural instinct.

You know if Labour get in contractors will be bent over and rogered harder than MF contracted to NLYUK on 'piecework'
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X