• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corbyn wants four new bank holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    I'd ban them all and increase the mandatory holiday amount.
    +1
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

What a stupid idea with all the problems UK is currently facing...

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
        What a stupid idea with all the problems UK is currently facing...
        Yes. Too many foreigners. SEnd em all home....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Yes. Too many foreigners. SEnd em all home....
          Make yourself a t-shirt with those words. Wear it with pride and walk about Croydon. See how far you get.

BTW. That 12-month flat rental agreement vs. the 7-day contract notice... that's what you should be worried about, BP. Leave the foreigners to Mrs May.
          You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            Permies might 'gain' 4 extra statutory days, but they will lose company holidays; those employers giving 25 days + 8 bank holidays today, will simply offer 21 days plus bank holidays going forward. The poorer workers, such as shop workers, won't gain anyway as they don't with many of the bank holidays we have today. Just Labour's way to try and buy some votes off the dumb :
            The UK is actually the only country I know where public holidays are included in the annual number of paid holidays. If I were to have 30 days in Scandinavia, for example, then that would be 30 days of my own choosing plus the 13+ public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
              The UK is actually the only country I know where public holidays are included in the annual number of paid holidays. If I were to have 30 days in Scandinavia, for example, then that would be 30 days of my own choosing plus the 13+ public holidays.
              The reason public holidays are included in the quota is that some of the public holidays are days to celebrate Christian religious festivals. However as some businesses work 24-7 people don't have these days off at all e.g. NHS, large retailers. So not to fall foul of religious discrimination, whether you follow a religion or not, giving employees a quota means they can choose what days to take off.

You may think this is nothing but some religious people including Christians are very happy to take to the law if they think they aren't being allowed to have their most important religious days off. However having a quota doesn't mean employers aren't allowed to force you to take days off as holiday if they have an annual shut down.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
                Vote Corbyn! He won't give you jobs, but he will give you four extra days off!
                Vote Corbyn! He'll give businesses even more reasons to relocate to Europe after Brexit, and you can have all year off!

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Vote Corbyn! He'll give businesses even more reasons to relocate to Europe after Brexit, and you can have all year off!
                  And, err, Theresa May's ultra hard Brexit vision wont be giving everyone a year off?

I don't see what Corbyn would do to businesses that would make them head to Europe more than May.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
                    But I currently get 32 days paid holiday - should be going up another day this year!

and bank holidays

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Whilst the four days are quite cute from the perspective of them being each of the UK's saint's days, the actual timing of the days is rather unfortunate.
                      WSS. If there's going to be 12 in a year, why can't we have one a month?

If you make it the end of the month then it's like an extra day off to recover from the payday piss up. I can see that being a vote winner.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X