Corbyn wants four new bank holidays Corbyn wants four new bank holidays
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 25

Super poster

fullyautomatix 's job has never been outsourced

Default Corbyn wants four new bank holidays

General election 2017: Labour wants four new bank holidays - BBC News

Get in Corbyn!

This is what Corbyn can do if he gets in, promises that are decisive and benefits the masses in general rather than just the vote bank benefiting.

Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Contractor Among Contractors

_V_ is NOT a disguised employee

Free unicorns too?

We're all Crypto Millionaire's, now Dave...

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Doesn't matter what policies he proposes, no matter how sensible, there are some who will reject them 100% without consideration, because only the greedy, lying, cheating Tory party are allowed to rule, in their eyes. (Or at least until the BNP start fielding candidates)
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Makes sense. The UK's workforce spend the most hours on the job yet is one of the most unproductive countries in the EU.

But then again perhaps we find family life miserable.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Super poster

ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

Whilst the four days are quite cute from the perspective of them being each of the UK's saint's days, the actual timing of the days is rather unfortunate.

St David - 1 March
    St Patrick - 17 March
    St George - 23 April

These are too close to each other, Easter and May Day

St Andrew - 30 November

Not a bad time of year, in the fallow period between August and Christmas, but isn't it already observed in Scotland so they won't benefit?

So, Corbyn's proposal essentially front loads holidays to the beginning of the year.

Super poster

Whorty - scorchio!

Permies might 'gain' 4 extra statutory days, but they will lose company holidays; those employers giving 25 days + 8 bank holidays today, will simply offer 21 days plus bank holidays going forward. The poorer workers, such as shop workers, won't gain anyway as they don't with many of the bank holidays we have today. Just Labour's way to try and buy some votes off the dumb

Thankfully as a contractor this won't impact me too much - just give me a few more days to polish my gold hoard
    I may not know Karate, but I know crazy and I'm not afraid to use it

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Whilst the four days are quite cute from the perspective of them being each of the UK's saint's days, the actual timing of the days is rather unfortunate.

St Patrick - 17 March
    Yes, ask any Irishman, the 18th should be the day off to recover from the 17th.
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

Fingers like lightning

squarepeg is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    General election 2017: Labour wants four new bank holidays - BBC News

Get in Corbyn!

This is what Corbyn can do if he gets in, promises that are decisive and benefits the masses in general rather than just the vote bank benefiting.

Vote Corbyn! He won't give you jobs, but he will give you four extra days off!
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Contractor Among Contractors

RSoles 's job has never been outsourced

Like they had in the seventies.

Godlike

barrydidit is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Whorty View Post
    Permies might 'gain' 4 extra statutory days, but they will lose company holidays; those employers giving 25 days + 8 bank holidays today, will simply offer 21 days plus bank holidays going forward. The poorer workers, such as shop workers, won't gain anyway as they don't with many of the bank holidays we have today. Just Labour's way to try and buy some votes off the dumb
    WWS. In any case, bank holidays suck because everyone has the same effing day off. If you're just going to sit on your sun lounger all day before having a BBQ it's not so bad, but if you're foolish enough to set foot outside your own curtilage, it's gridlocked misery. I'd ban them all and increase the mandatory holiday amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Whorty View Post
    Thankfully as a contractor this won't impact me too much - just give me a few more days to polish my gold hoard
    Knocks a 2 grand hole in your turnover which you might prefer to sustain in January whilst sipping rum in the Caribbean though, no?