• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sorry for my ignorance HMRC and Hotel costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for my ignorance HMRC and Hotel costs

I was informed due to the rule changes last June that I would not directly be able to claim for Hotel costs using my Umbrella company. I still has to submit my hotel costs, it just wasnt calculated as an expense in my wages.

I am sure everyone is aware of this

Now I have got to the bit where I have to fill in the P87 form and at the end and after submitting £7280.00 in hotel expenses, the form is telling me that I have to claim via Self Assessment if the amount is greater than £2500.

OK a couple of question,

Why would I have to do it via self assessment when I was employed at the time through an Umbrella company? Seems to be counter productive as I went through an umbrella company to avoid self assessment.

Is this straight forward or is it likely to open up a can of worms??

Many thanks for any help

Did you ask your employer for some help and guidance?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Did you ask your employer for some help and guidance?
      Well they are an Umbrella company and I stopped contracting in December last year so I am not longer an employee.

They did tell that, that is how HMRC want you to do it, but that is hardly an answer as to why??

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X