• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Update on the Weber

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You don't need to worry too much other than in the midst of a prolonged dry spell. In general, the outer thatch of a property remains a little damp most of the time (particularly during a "traditional" british summer).
    Most thatch fires occur when the internal dry stuff catches light, usually via the chimney space.
    That is not to say that you should be cavalier about raging blazes on the patio adjacent to the thatch, but it is not generally as combustible externally as some might think.
    Incidentally, and I have to be careful how I word this but do you get problems with flies in your thatch?

When the sun's out it's like the Amityville Horror at the front of my house. They're normally gone by lunchtime though.

Hoping it's a seasonal thing and/or I can treat the thatch with something to get rid of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      Incidentally, and I have to be careful how I word this but do you get problems with flies in your thatch?

When the sun's out it's like the Amityville Horror at the front of my house. They're normally gone by lunchtime though.

Hoping it's a seasonal thing and/or I can treat the thatch with something to get rid of them.
      Can't say I have ever had that problem.

Might depend what kind of reed you have?
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

There's an interesting (and in parts amusing) discussion on that here

They could be breeding "up there" somewhere. We had two seasons of the damn things back in the 80s and had to get the local pest-control guy in to fumigate the loft space.

Used to get them in the old workshop. Every morning was a nightmare. Open the velux and the things swarmed out like something out of the 'Green Mile'. Bought fumigation candles and left the place overnight, returning next day to a carpet of the things EVERYWHERE. Went on like that for about three weeks, then one morning - nothing. It was like that scene in the film 'The Battle of Britain' when the Luftwaffe stop coming over and everybody' s tensed-up, waiting for something that isn't going to happen.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

That's nice...

I've got a kettle myself with the rotisserie attachment. Did 2 very large free range birds on it last weekend in fact.

I've just moved to a thatched property though so may be reassessing my bbq operations.

Bit worried about sparks drifting up and setting my thatch alight.

Is that possible when using briquettes? I'd have thought it unlikely.
          Don't really want to go gas.
          NLyUK had a similar experience quite recently. Bloody dangerous things, those post-coitals...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            NLyUK had a similar experience quite recently. Bloody dangerous things, those post-coitals...
            Not much chance of that with NLyUK, not with her bladder seepage issues.

More chance of trench foot than spontaneous combustion.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              There's an interesting (and in parts amusing) discussion on that here

The cottage I lived in when I was in my teens had a mansard roof & my bedroom was an attic room in that roof.

Used to get exactly what they're talking about in your link.

At least with my current situation the flies are outside but they swarm around like in a West African fish market.

Comment

Working...
              X