Barista visas Barista visas - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Barista visas

  1. #11

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    It is freedom of movement. As long as you're young.
    Freedom of movement includes freedom to stay, those visas will be short term, not leading to permanent settlement, but obviously would be easy route for illegal immigration, assuming UK would even be attractive country for it in a few years time.

  2. #12

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    I think you'll find that if big businesses were forced to operate on an open market with reduced immigration, basic economics would either force wages up to a level that enticed Brits off the dole, or the businesses would close.
    You are making a big assumption that in low unemployment environment many of those who stay on the dole are employable in the first place, nevermind offering lots of money for it.

  3. #13

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    29,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Freedom of movement includes freedom to stay, those visas will be short term, not leading to permanent settlement, but obviously would be easy route for illegal immigration, assuming UK would even be attractive country for it in a few years time.
    Freedom of movement means you can stay over 3 months if you have the means to support yourself.

    Once you have stayed over a certain time then you are eligible for certain benefits.

    Unfortunately the UK government didn't implement the 3 month rule properly unlike other EEA nations.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  4. #14

    Super poster

    meridian - scorchio!

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    And I voted brexit because I did not want a central european parliment.
    Nobody knows exactly the myriad of reasons why all people voted Brexit, because it wasn't on the ballot paper.

    Your sample of one is as valid as the sample of the bloke that just did it for a laugh.

  5. #15

    Fingers like lightning

    billybiro 's job has never been outsourced

    billybiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    avoid labour shortages .... following Brexit, such as the idea of “barista visas”.
    Sheesh. The legal profession is stooping quite low these days.

  6. #16

    Super poster

    meridian - scorchio!

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    You are making a big assumption that in low unemployment environment many of those who stay on the dole are employable in the first place, nevermind offering lots of money for it.
    Wait, low unemployment environment? I thought there were thousands of unemployed media studies students?

  7. #17

    Super poster

    oscarose is NOT a disguised employee

    oscarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    on the path to righteousness
    Posts
    3,194

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    dole is more enticing than working in a coffee shop?
    Depends on the nature of the coffee shop

    one day at a time

  8. #18

    Lord of the Vectras

    VectraMan - scorchio!

    VectraMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    European Union (Yorkshire)
    Posts
    11,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Freedom of movement includes freedom to stay
    Freedom of non-movement you mean?

    Are people in jobs really going to be kicked out after 2 years? Short of an army of media studies students retraining as Baristas, it's hard to see that happening.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

  9. #19

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Wait, low unemployment environment? I thought there were thousands of unemployed media studies students?


    It's pretty much at level where it can't be driven much lower.

    The real problem is that a lot of "jobs" that were created in recent years are rather tulipy and can disappear very easily.

  10. #20

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post


    It's pretty much at level where it can't be driven much lower.

    The real problem is that a lot of "jobs" that were created in recent years are rather tulipy and can disappear very easily.
    indeed.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •