• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barista visas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barista visas

Home secretary is reportedly examining proposals to prevent staff shortages in coffee shops, restaurants and bars

The boss of Costa Coffee owner Whitbread has welcomed the proposals being discussed to avoid labour shortages in cafes and restaurants following Brexit, such as the idea of “barista visas”.

Home secretary Amber Rudd is reportedly considering introducing “barista visas” to ensure coffee shops, restaurants and bars are fully staffed after Brexit. The proposal was made by Lord Green, chairman of thinktank Migration Watch UK, who suggested two-year visas for young EU citizens allowing them to come to Britain to work, although they will not be able to claim benefits. It is based on the current Youth Mobility Scheme for travellers from Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Whitbread’s chief executive Alison Brittain, a former Lloyds banker, said: “What is really encouraging is that people are starting to talk about solutions and options.”

But she added that it would take many months for formal proposals to emerge. She noted the importance of the hospitality industry to the UK economy – it is the fourth largest industry, accounts for 10% of GDP and employs 5 million people."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...bour-shortages

Immigration Kontrols

I guess our highly educated unemployed Corbyn voting media studies youths sitting at home doing nothing, are not capable of operating a coffee machine?

I despair.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      I guess our highly educated unemployed Corbyn voting media studies youths sitting at home doing nothing, are not capable of operating a coffee machine?

I despair.
      Your argument appears to be that the dole is more enticing than working in a coffee shop?

I think you'll find that if big businesses were forced to operate on an open market with reduced immigration, basic economics would either force wages up to a level that enticed Brits off the dole, or the businesses would close.

Rather than force the issue by closing down immigration or reducing the dole, the Tories choose to support cheap imported labour, just as they always have done while May was Home Office minister.

That is, assuming that your basic premise that there are tens of thousands of unemployed media students sitting around doing nothing is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

I despair.
        They are probably trying to work out how they got conned into wasting 4 years and running up massive debts when the only jobs on offer are ones that they could have walked into in the first place.

Comment

ah so when it comes to immigration they'll make exception for coffee shops, the car industry, public services, fruit farms and basically anyone looking for employees.

You can see where this is going.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            ah so when it comes to immigration they'll make exception for coffee shops, the car industry, public services, fruit farms and basically anyone looking for employees.

You can see where this is going.

We need to stop freedom of movement!!
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              We need to stop drinking coffee!!
              FTFY

Comment

We need to stop freedom of movement!!
                The proposal was made by Lord Green, chairman of thinktank Migration Watch UK, who suggested two-year visas for young EU citizens allowing them to come to Britain to work
                It is freedom of movement. As long as you're young.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post

We need to stop drinking coffee!!
                  FTFY
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I have no problems with this.

All immigration will be subject to some form of control.

If the government decides the native population cannot or will not do these jobs then we will be happy to take applicants from over seas.

In much the same way as if we have a shortage of other required skills.

The issue of the lazy english feckers refusing to do the work is different and needs to be tackled differently.

And I voted brexit because I did not want a central european parliment.

Comment

Working...
                    X