• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House price crash signs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
    I can't see the bubble bursting until interest rates rise.

Considering they been so low for so long, it would surely be a disaster for the economy if they went up?
    If inflation and taxes rise sharply, it will have a similar effect, people will no longer be able to afford their mortgage payments after paying their credit card debt, car loans and household bills.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

They've certainly fallen quite a bit on prime property in London (foreign investors market). I'm not certain if that'll feed through to the main market, in the rest of London prices are stagnating rather than falling or even rising slightly.

Still Im glad Ive divested out of property, although having most of the proceeds in the stock market does cause a little worry. However my guess is the world economy has finally come out of the great recession and we have at least a couple of years of growth ahead. World economy growth that is, UK growth will slow down and peter out in a couple of years.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
        Yes. It's all about you.
        Since you are new poster I will be nice and explain it to you.

There is a long standing joke on here about AtW and his inability to buy property at the right time. Oh and the fact he needs a new sofa...
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Oh and the fact he needs a new sofa...
          I thought he had ordered the new sofa and was just waiting for delivery.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            They've certainly fallen quite a bit on prime property in London (foreign investors market). I'm not certain if that'll feed through to the main market, in the rest of London prices are stagnating rather than falling or even rising slightly.

Still Im glad Ive divested out of property, although having most of the proceeds in the stock market does cause a little worry. However my guess is the world economy has finally come out of the great recession and we have at least a couple of years of growth ahead. World economy growth that is, UK growth will slow down and peter out in a couple of years.
            I sold everything too and sitting on cash. Got only 30k in US stocks which i'm selling within a month. Moving to Australia so will need cash for property there. Might be wrong but market won't be great for time being, but if theres crash i'll be on buyers side

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
              I can't see the bubble bursting until interest rates rise.

Considering they been so low for so long, it would surely be a disaster for the economy if they went up?
              This..

However right now there's a choice. The BoE can choose not to put them up. Or put them up very slowly, that would be a good choice right now. But I bet you in the not to distant future they'll have no choice. And they'll need to put them up quickly. You don't have to look to far back in time, late 80's when inflation was nearing 6% interest rates had to increase at one point 14%.

The next two years will be very interesting for the UK. My advice would be to get those mortgage rates fixed. 10 year plus. Just do it. You'll thank me later. Or better still sell up and rent for the next few years.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                I sold everything too and sitting on cash. Got only 30k in US stocks which i'm selling within a month. Moving to Australia so will need cash for property there. Might be wrong but market won't be great for time being, but if theres crash i'll be on buyers side
                Use that cash to buy cryptocurrencies. Perhaps Litecoin in particular.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Use that cash to buy cryptocurrencies. Perhaps Litecoin in particular.
                  So you can sell haha? Thinking of some tangible asset now for a change. HMO perhaps.
                  Was looking at index trackers but their yield is tulipe. 60% over 10 years
                  Last edited by diseasex; 26 April 2017, 09:43.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                    So you can sell haha? Thinking of some tangible asset now for a change. HMO perhaps
                    Then buy land. You can never go wrong with land.

I put ~£5k in crypto a couple of month ago. Can sell them for ~£65k today. But I'm holding. So many interesting idea coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Then buy land. You can never go wrong with land.

I put ~£5k in crypto a couple of month ago. Can sell them for ~£65k today. But I'm holding. So many interesting idea coming out.
                      Don't you pay taxes on land owned?

Comment

Working...
                      X