• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividend tax change shelved (for now)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividend tax change shelved (for now)

https://www.ft.com/content/b53a5ba6-...b-5528796fe35c

The reduction of the tax free amount to £2k didn't make it into the finance bill.

Assuming the Tories win the election (which seems an almost certainty) I'm sure this will come back up again in the Autumn budget. I'm assuming this will still give them enough time to bring it in time for the 18/19 tax year, won't it?

I wonder why not. I can't see those affected by it have anyone else to vote for and it risks giving Labour another attack point since this is probably something most people would have been in favour of.

Maybe they're going to properly overhaul the system rather than keep hacking it about once they get a proper majority?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      I'm assuming this will still give them enough time to bring it in time for the 18/19 tax year, won't it?
      Yes, plenty, I reckon they will keep the allowance but increase dividend tax rate again, this will result in heavier tax take.

Comment

This is a simple procedural move. A lot of things didn't make it through due to lack of time for scrutiny. Yes, this will almost certainly return. It may not be exactly the same following Taylor (it won't be more favourable ), although Taylor may be delayed too. There's also the slight possibility of a summer budget.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Yes, plenty, I reckon they will keep the allowance but increase dividend tax rate again, this will result in heavier tax take.
          They've set out their stall for desiring parity between non-employed* and employed workers so I don't see increasing dividend taxes is in line with that, unless they can break dividends on investments and dividends from your own company into separate treatments.

*I don't know a better catch-all term than encompasses PSCs and self-employed, is there one?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            They've set out their stall for desiring parity between non-employed* and employed workers so I don't see increasing dividend taxes is in line with that, unless they can break dividends on investments and dividends from your own company into separate treatments.
            They will increase tax on all dividends because they can and there is nobody to stop them.

Comment

By that logic they'll increase income tax too. They will only increase tax if there's something they want to spend it on... unlike your home government MPs don't get to nick the tax money except when it comes to expenses

Comment

By that logic they'll increase income tax too. They will only increase tax if there's something they want to spend it on... unlike your home government MPs don't get to nick the tax money except when it comes to expenses

There's a never ending list of tulip the public wants money for. Even if you confiscated all private wealth and sold all national assets to the Chinese, there still wouldn't be enough money.

Comment

By that logic they'll increase income tax too.
                  Income tax levels are too politically sensitive, so they can't do it, but as for dividends, who is getting then anyway? Dirty spekulants

Comment

Working...
                  X