• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proof that Theresa May is an automaton which has short circuited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof that Theresa May is an automaton which has short circuited

Radio Derby to Theresa May : “Do you know what a mugwump is?”

Theresa May: “What I recognise is that what we need in this country is strong and stable leadership.”

https://order-order.com/quote/theresa-may-mugwumps/

Clearly the Conservative GE2017 strategy is to simply repeat "strong and stable leadership" over and over and over. No policy, and just say stuff that isn't necessarily true about the opposition.

And 40-50% of the country are going to fall for it. It is the worst soundbite in the history of soundbites - even worse than when the Chicago Police Homicide department's slogan was "Our day starts when yours ends". I mean FFS, David Cameron promised strong and stable government and look where that got us.

Utter tripe. And it seems the electorate has decided that they don't need to look at policies, they must vote for Mayhem because she has promised strong and stable leadership.

We are doomed.
    Taking a break from contracting

A mugwump is "A person who remains aloof or independent, especially from party politics."

Johnson calls Corbyn a mugwump, TM refuses to engage directly, but indirectly by her answer demonstrates she does know what a mugwump is - i.e. someone who won't deliver strong leadership. Even Huffington Post spots it:

There are a range of definitions of “mugwump” but the most succinct is perhaps “someone who doesn’t want strong and stable Government”.

Perhaps it would have been easier for the hard of thinking if she have just said "yes".
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      Clearly the Conservative GE2017 strategy is to simply repeat "strong and stable leadership" over and over and over.
      When the opposition has chosen a mugwump, and one who lives in cloud cuckoo land, as their leader, that's all you have to do.

Comment

Good BBC article here:

'Strong and stable' - Why politicians keep repeating themselves - BBC News

"Strong and stable"
        The Conservative slogan has been used:
        25 times in the Commons in 10 days
        16 times during PMQs on 26 April
        12 times in one speech by Theresa May
        Meaningless platitudes, repeated over and over, win elections apparently.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It also says:

PR expert Mark Borkowski is not impressed by what he calls "simplified electioneering", saying that while people might be "hypnotised by the repetitive, simple nature of it", it could increase cynicism about politicians among voters who have had enough of elections.
          He's not alone in wishing for more substantial speeches.
          "In ancient Greece and Rome, on the other hand, the art of rhetoric was at the heart of political life.
          "Recapturing some of that lost art might be a good idea, and might get us beyond pretty much indistinguishable soundbites."
          Gibbon could give us some insight into that.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As I have repeatedly said, the nanny state has had the pernicious effect of infantilising a whole population.
            For "strong and stable leadership" read "mummy will look after me when things become bad".

Any IT contractor who votes for the Tories must be a complete imbecile.
            But then this forum long ceased being one for IT contractors.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Perhaps it would have been easier for the hard of thinking if she have just said "yes".
              Or, for an appealing touch of self-deprecating modesty, "I do now, but I had to look it up"
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Just as a matter of interest, who do you intend voting for sasguru. Serious question by the way.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Just wanted to clarify my "like"

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  As I have repeatedly said, the nanny state has had the pernicious effect of infantilising a whole population.
                  For "strong and stable leadership" read "mummy will look after me when things become bad".
                  OwlHoot liked this post

But then this forum long ceased being one for IT contractors.
                  OwlHoot disliked this post
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Just as a matter of interest, who do you intend voting for sasguru. Serious question by the way.
                    Good question. Because Labour and the DumLibs are even more nanny-staters than the Tories (which is going some, I must say). So yeah, I agreed with the comment about the nanny state 100% but can't see how anyone who says that can vote for the other parties, either. So I'm interested in that voting decision, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X