• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Garden Bridge Project Scrapped.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Weed.
    More likely lawyers...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Don't see why I, LadyMuck and other Londoners should underwrite a vanity project with our taxes. What have they spent 37.4M on?
      Thats the point YOU should not be funding anything. The bridge estates trust was founded in 1252 for the express use of building maintaining bridges across the Thames it's not allowed to spend its money on anything else...

They managed to get a small sub trust approved to help the city of London but that works out at less than they get paid in capital interest.

In fact they would have earned something like 120m in interest payments over the past few years. so why is the Mayor even involved?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Weed.
        could have grown that on the bridge and paid back the whole cost of the buildng scheme in less than 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          Thats the point YOU should not be funding anything. The bridge estates trust was founded in 1252 for the express use of building maintaining bridges across the Thames it's not allowed to spend its money on anything else...

They managed to get a small sub trust approved to help the city of London but that works out at less than they get paid in capital interest.

In fact they would have earned something like 120m in interest payments over the past few years. so why is the Mayor even involved?
          That's a fair point. I saw something about this trust on the telly - isn't it built on the tolls people used to pay to cross the old London Bridge?

Maybe there's something in their articles which prevented them p1ssing money away on a bridge covered in trees and grass.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
            That's a fair point. I saw something about this trust on the telly - isn't it built on the tolls people used to pay to cross the old London Bridge?

Maybe there's something in their articles which prevented them p1ssing money away on a bridge covered in trees and grass.
            The point of it to me is London needed another road bridge out East, more than it needed this garden one.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

And when was the last time you went there....???

Top Attractions in London's South Bank | South Bank London

yeah sure 20 years ago it was a dump....time moves on

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                And when was the last time you went there....???

Top Attractions in London's South Bank | South Bank London

yeah sure 20 years ago it was a dump....time moves on

London? November. It was full to the fecking brim of tourists.

Comment

London? November. It was full to the fecking brim of tourists.
                  yeah but now they go to the South Bank.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes it was set up to stop the monarchy of the day being able to raid its coffers for wars and whores. The trouble was that business was so good, soon it had more money than it needed and so it started trying to lose some of it by investing and made even more of it in the process....

They pretty much hit every good investment at the right time for 700 years

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      Yes it was set up to stop the monarchy of the day being able to raid its coffers for wars and whores. The trouble was that business was so good, soon it had more money than it needed and so it started trying to lose some of it by investing and made even more of it in the process....

They pretty much hit every good investment at the right time for 700 years

Aye, that's the way to do it...

Shame nobody thought to do the same with all that oil money.

Comment

Working...
                      X