• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A United Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A United Ireland

Do you consider it a good thing, bad thing, likely, or unlikely.

I have no strong views on it, other than it seems that if the North and South both agree to unite (referendum), then it should happen.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...e_iOSApp_Other
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Do you consider it a good thing, bad thing, likely, or unlikely.

I have no strong views on it, other than it seems that if the North and South both agree to unite (referendum), then it should happen.
    Good thing if it can be achieved with the consent of both communities in NI and also with the population of RoI, otherwise a bad thing. I.e. having a border poll which tips over the 50% mark in favour of unification, would lead to a Brexit ++ row. Even the 50% + 1 vote is very unlikely in the short to medium term.

What should be being looked at is a separate deal for NI in Brexit. NI may be better inside the customs union, therefore needing customs checks across the Irish see with GB. Even that is problematic with UK-wide supply chains.

Basically Brexit is screwing up NI big time and there are no obvious solutions.

Comment

Should they both want it, then I think it would be great. But I don't think the YES threshold should be 50% after all the history there. It needs to be an emphatic decision.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No way will NI join with ROI - I'm working in Dublin again and I'm nearly €100 lighter after 20 mins at the docs yesterday..

No free healthcare here!

Comment

WTS. It would need overwhelming support. A Brexit style narrow majority could well reignite the troubles.

A separate deal for NI is a no-brainer really. Which probably means it won't happen.

Interestingly I was reading the other day there's new hope for reunification of Cyprus (which would also mean Northern Cyprus would join the EU in a similar way to the "GDR clause" the article mentions). There was a lot of momentum behind that when Cyprus joined the EU (2003?), but it ultimately failed then. I was there in 1974 so it's always of personal interest, even though I can't remember any of it.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            No way will NI join with ROI - I'm working in Dublin again and I'm nearly €100 lighter after 20 mins at the docks yesterday..
            NLYUK's Irish cousin?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I doubt they would do it without bloodshed.

I would love to see a peaceful reunification if it were possible though. Ireland would be stronger together.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                NLYUK's Irish cousin?
                Not for 100 Euros it ain't.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  WTS. It would need overwhelming support. A Brexit style narrow majority could well reignite the troubles.
                  I fear that even an overwhelming majority would re-ignite the troubles. In general Catholics would be in favour, Protestants against.

I would be interested to hear what the protestants say. Though I get fed up with them staging all these historic marches that seem to cause trouble. Can't we just move ahead?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I fear that even an overwhelming majority would re-ignite the troubles. In general Catholics would be in favour, Protestants against.

I would be interested to hear what the protestants say. Though I get fed up with them staging all these historic marches that seem to cause trouble. Can't we just move ahead?
                    As they say:

We will shortly be landing at Belfast. Please fasten your seat belts and turn your watches back 300 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X