• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone ever owned a snooker table?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever owned a snooker table?

It's probably the one impractical luxury item I'd really like... not bothered by sports cars or a swimming pool and though I'd love a tennis court, you need another person to use it.

Even in the vast sprawl of NewHouse, they builders had the good taste not to build any stupidly large rooms (you need 20'x14' at least) so it'd require a custom-built extension or something equally silly and therefore seems unlikely.

I wonder has anyone got one, or had one in the past (a 6x3 pool table doesn't cut it)? Or, what is your equivalent luxury purchase and have you gone ahead and done it? A nice lazy Friday afternoon topic...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's probably the one impractical luxury item I'd really like... not bothered by sports cars or a swimming pool and though I'd love a tennis court, you need another person to use it.

Even in the vast sprawl of NewHouse, they builders had the good taste not to build any stupidly large rooms (you need 20'x14' at least) so it'd require a custom-built extension or something equally silly and therefore seems unlikely.

I wonder has anyone got one, or had one in the past (a 6x3 pool table doesn't cut it)? Or, what is your equivalent luxury purchase and have you gone ahead and done it? A nice lazy Friday afternoon topic...
    I bought a 2008 BMW 320d. Love driving it and am desperate for a new 430 but can't justify I, or actually afford itt. First purchase in cash of a significant amount.

Love the idea of a snooker table.

Comment

we had a small one (6ft) when growing up. We did play on it but not much. Wanted a pool table.

Another use for a manshack!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Bought a full size one at auction from a bankrupt pub (£1,200). I had it shipped to Villa Paddy (£1,500). It has its own room and is mainly here to amuse guests. BTW it is very heavy!
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Had a 6 by 3 pool table when i was young if you can find an 8 by 4 that should suffice.

A full 12x6 slate bed is heavy, expensive and no good for pool.

Comment

Bought a pub style 6x3 pool table (real slate, very heavy!) when I bought current home years ago. Was great fun for a while, and the games/booze/music room used to be the hub of entertainment when we had guests round. Was used quite a lot for 3 or 4 years, and then rarely-to-never for the past 10 or so years. Will probably get rid of it soon enough and change the games room to a cinema room.

Wasn't a luxury item but thought to mention it anyway.

Luxury item - big fat petrol guzzling car that takes me 0-60 in 4 seconds. I try my best not to drive it because the petrol tank needle goes down as quick as the speedo goes up

Comment

I've had one for about two years - an 8ft by 4ft. Wouldn't be without it now. Unless you're pretty good I think the amount of time you'd need to put in to practising on a full size table would be prohibitive. Even then when your mates come round they wouldn't be much competition. With a half size table it's still a challenge to make a decent break but you can still have a good game on it. Only big enough for ten reds though so the 147 will have to wait! It was about 3K new.

Comment

I'm rubbish at snooker, I think my best break is about 20, but I love it, very peaceful on your own. I used to be a member of my local club and you got half price to practice alone... Until the club was demolished this year.

Pool's fun but not the same... Ideally I'd have both, a pool table sideways next to a snooker table lengthways.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have one in a room that backs on to the pool house. It's a bit tatty these days as the kids drip all over it as they wont get dried properly before using it.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Not necessarily. I rented a couple of nice apartments in the past, each with a shared tennis court. I bought a decent tennis ball firing machine that exposed me to something no other play has - 80 ball rallies!

A friend in the same village, sadly no longer around now, had an extension built to house a full size table and bar. It's something I'd definitely like one day (not just the bar!).

In fact here is the property:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...7&fromMap=true

ha ha, in fact you can see in one of the pictures showing an aerial view of the land, the precise tennis court to the right that was on our premises.
                    Last edited by oliverson; 29 April 2017, 17:15. Reason: added url

Comment

Working...
                    X