Tory secret deal with EU Tory secret deal with EU - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 67

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Money will win. Money almost always wins, except when you have a dictator who cares more about building/shoring up his power than he does about money. ...
    Isn't this precisely what Brexiters whine about when they call it the EUSSR?
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

Super poster

WordIsBond is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Sorry, I didn't keep track of everything Brexiters whinged about.

Europe is being run in somewhat of an autocratic fashion, there really is a democracy deficit. And maybe some of the commissioners have the attitude I described, who knows? But they all have limits on their power, and none of them comes close to having the power to be able to tell all their businesses and unemployed people and pensioners, "Sorry, we're going to hurt ourselves financially because we're mad at the UK."

They'll do a deal. It won't be everything the UK would want, or everything some Brexiters promised, but there will be a deal, and it won't be as bad as the Bremainers said, either.

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

There's no "stronger" side here.
    27 countries vs 1. 400 million people vs 60 million. A GDP of $14tn vs $2tn. Plus the EU has stability on its side, whereas the UK is trying something that's never been done. Unions are stronger, which is why the history of the world has always tended that way.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    27 countries vs 1. 400 million people vs 60 million. A GDP of $14tn vs $2tn. Plus the EU has stability on its side, whereas the UK is trying something that's never been done. Unions are stronger, which is why the history of the world has always tended that way.
    The UK has strong and stable leadership.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

Sorry, I didn't keep track of everything Brexiters whinged about.

Europe is being run in somewhat of an autocratic fashion, t
    Since the Lisbon treaty every single piece of legislation has to be approved by the European parliament, which is directly elected. They also have the same powers as the council of ministers to introduce new legislation. All members of the European Council are elected by their respective electorates, ie. they are all Prime ministers.

The European commission has no power, it simply works through proposals and is effectively a "Civil Service".

All decisions are either qualified majority voting or require unanimous approval from the Council.

Not everything the Daily Mail reports is completely accurate.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 2nd May 2017 at 10:00.
    I'm alright Jack

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Vladimir Putin to ask EU for tips on leaking during election campaigns

And I thought news thump was about funny stories - not fact.

Faqqed Off

TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    The UK has strong and stable leadership.
    I wish someone would mention that more often.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Our employment situation is better than theirs..
    Not so sure about that. Leaving aside the explosion of growth in the zero hour contract sector, the next to zero wage growth of those past 10 yeas seems to me to be a much greater issue. It is all very well saying better be employed than not at all. But in my opinion you've got a group of people willing to move where the work with good standards of living and another group being asked to do more for less whilst watching their standard of living decrease. I know which group I'd prefer to be part of.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    Plus the EU has stability on its side, ...
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Not so sure about that. Leaving aside the explosion of growth in the zero hour contract sector, the next to zero wage growth of those past 10 yeas seems to me to be a much greater issue. It is all very well saying better be employed than not at all. But in my opinion you've got a group of people willing to move where the work with good standards of living and another group being asked to do more for less whilst watching their standard of living decrease. I know which group I'd prefer to be part of.
    You don't think that might have a basis in a surplus of available labour?
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.