• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory secret deal with EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Money will win. Money almost always wins, except when you have a dictator who cares more about building/shoring up his power than he does about money. ...
    Isn't this precisely what Brexiters whine about when they call it the EUSSR?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Sorry, I didn't keep track of everything Brexiters whinged about.

Europe is being run in somewhat of an autocratic fashion, there really is a democracy deficit. And maybe some of the commissioners have the attitude I described, who knows? But they all have limits on their power, and none of them comes close to having the power to be able to tell all their businesses and unemployed people and pensioners, "Sorry, we're going to hurt ourselves financially because we're mad at the UK."

They'll do a deal. It won't be everything the UK would want, or everything some Brexiters promised, but there will be a deal, and it won't be as bad as the Bremainers said, either.

Comment

There's no "stronger" side here.
        27 countries vs 1. 400 million people vs 60 million. A GDP of $14tn vs $2tn. Plus the EU has stability on its side, whereas the UK is trying something that's never been done. Unions are stronger, which is why the history of the world has always tended that way.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          27 countries vs 1. 400 million people vs 60 million. A GDP of $14tn vs $2tn. Plus the EU has stability on its side, whereas the UK is trying something that's never been done. Unions are stronger, which is why the history of the world has always tended that way.
          The UK has strong and stable leadership.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't keep track of everything Brexiters whinged about.

Europe is being run in somewhat of an autocratic fashion, t
            Since the Lisbon treaty every single piece of legislation has to be approved by the European parliament, which is directly elected. They also have the same powers as the council of ministers to introduce new legislation. All members of the European Council are elected by their respective electorates, ie. they are all Prime ministers.

The European commission has no power, it simply works through proposals and is effectively a "Civil Service".

All decisions are either qualified majority voting or require unanimous approval from the Council.

Not everything the Daily Mail reports is completely accurate.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 2 May 2017, 10:00.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Vladimir Putin to ask EU for tips on leaking during election campaigns

And I thought news thump was about funny stories - not fact.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                The UK has strong and stable leadership.
                I wish someone would mention that more often.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Our employment situation is better than theirs..
                  Not so sure about that. Leaving aside the explosion of growth in the zero hour contract sector, the next to zero wage growth of those past 10 yeas seems to me to be a much greater issue. It is all very well saying better be employed than not at all. But in my opinion you've got a group of people willing to move where the work with good standards of living and another group being asked to do more for less whilst watching their standard of living decrease. I know which group I'd prefer to be part of.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Plus the EU has stability on its side, ...
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Not so sure about that. Leaving aside the explosion of growth in the zero hour contract sector, the next to zero wage growth of those past 10 yeas seems to me to be a much greater issue. It is all very well saying better be employed than not at all. But in my opinion you've got a group of people willing to move where the work with good standards of living and another group being asked to do more for less whilst watching their standard of living decrease. I know which group I'd prefer to be part of.
                      You don't think that might have a basis in a surplus of available labour?
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X