• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

About time too!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
    As a temporary resident in Cambridge I find the sense of entitlement at owning and riding a bike there overrides any common sense to have lights, wear reflective/hi-vis clothing, or behave as if a car could actually kill you if you decide to weave into the road without looking to overtake another cyclist. I appreciate that they really don't like cars in cambridge (£16 to park for a day?) but that doesn't make cyclist immortal.

And as for undertaking lorries on a bike, only someone determined to win a Darwin award should even contemplate it!
    They're used to taking a punt in Cambridge.

As for the lorry problem, maybe they should have a giant 'hold back' hand on a stick that comes out the side when the lorry is stopped. Then we can watch funny clips of cyclists getting whacked if they time it just wrong to be approaching the rear of the lorry when the hand comes out. Sometimes problems are so easy to fix.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

How many of you with a negative view on cycling have actually ridden a bike on the road recently or regularly?

Some of attitudes/opinions voiced on here would change if you actually tried it for yourself.

"The Highway Code is essential reading for everyone. The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, particularly children, older or disabled people, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is important that all road users are aware of The Highway Code and are considerate towards each other."

I would advise several of you actually take the time to sit down and read the highway code particularly the bit about vulnerable road users.

You also might want to look here - UK Road Cycling Laws and Rules Explained - you may not like it but it's the law unless you think dangerous driving is ok?

Comment

Originally posted by AV101 View Post
        How many of you with a negative view on cycling have actually ridden a bike on the road recently or regularly?

Some of attitudes/opinions voiced on here would change if you actually tried it for yourself.

"The Highway Code is essential reading for everyone. The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, particularly children, older or disabled people, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is important that all road users are aware of The Highway Code and are considerate towards each other."

I would advise several of you actually take the time to sit down and read the highway code particularly the bit about vulnerable road users.

You also might want to look here - UK Road Cycling Laws and Rules Explained - you may not like it but it's the law unless you think dangerous driving is ok?
        It is more about the fact that as a cyclist you are vulnerable and so need to take care not to put yourself in a position of peril.

Quoting the cycling laws wont help if you end up smeared across the road.

Accidents happen its why they are called accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by AV101 View Post

Oh p*ss off.

If you want car/van drivers to respect you lecturing them about reading the highway code won't work.

You have to get them on a bike or preferably get on of their kids on a bike. Then when they imagine every cyclist could be their kid they drive with more consideration.

HGV drivers get this as part of their further training.

Also some cyclists until they drive don't realise how bad visibility is in some cars and how stupid some of their actions are. For example you can't expect a driver to be looking out for you on the inside on an entrance to a roundabout so you should as a cyclist take primary position.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X