• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Courier Being...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Courier Being...

fecked over.

Hermes are being investigated by HMRC and taken to court by the GMB linky
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

HM Revenue & Customs has stepped up its investigation into the delivery company Hermes classifiying its couriers as self-employed, while the business has also been hit with an employment rights lawsuit from the GMB trade union.

Drivers for Hermes were sent letters from HMRC over the weekend asking them to provide evidence as the tax authority looks into their employment status.

In the letter, seen by the Guardian, HMRC requests that the drivers disclose information such as their written contract and payslips, and agree to a one-hour interview. “This will help us decide what your employment status is/was,” it says.

HMRC’s investigation follows one by the Guardian that found some self-employed couriers were being paid less than the “national living wage”, in an arrangement the company said had been approved by HMRC.
    Excellent news, zero hour contracts & false self employment abuse to be addressed.

Lets see how they get on with the big river & co.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Isn't it MyHermes where you get people using their own car in-between their normal jobs? Paid per parcel or similar? That sounds more like what ZHCs are for, not abuse?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Isn't it MyHermes where you get people using their own car in-between their normal jobs? Paid per parcel or similar? That sounds more like what ZHCs are for, not abuse?
        There are Hermes vans as well plus the no-name ones.

Comment

I guess it's only the start, my money is on deliveroo next and dare I say Uber

Comment

Excellent news, zero hour contracts & false self employment abuse to be addressed
            Always see zero hours contracts cast as exploitation but there must be many who prefer them. It is a reciprocal arrangement, they are not legally obliged to accept work offered and they are also free to work for other employers.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Always see zero hours contracts cast as exploitation but there must be many who prefer them. It is a reciprocal arrangement, they are not legally obliged to accept work offered and they are also free to work for other employers.
              Zero hours contracts are good for students and that's about it.

Even then most students I know want a regular 4-8 hours a week outside of exam time so they can plan their studying and social life around working. Any other hours if they have the time are a bonus.

Oh and the freedom to work for other employers hasn't been brought in for that long. Plus if you make the mistake of turning down work you will not be asked to work again by lots of companies.

Comment

Working...
              X