• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Queen calls emergency meeting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    I'm not a pygmy, in fact, I have 1,71 m and for a woman, I'm tall

In the past, your Queen didn't invite the Prime Minister's wife of my country because he was not married. Came from that immoral family it's ironic.
    If they're not married she couldn't be his wife. Anyway, IIRC that was just an excuse. The real reason is that she has halitosis, the manners of a navvy and drones on like a fishwife.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Erm, The Queen is the King's wife, whoever she is. It doesn't work the other way around as in a male dominated society that would put the Queen's husband above the true monarch. Or have I failed Royalty 101?

Personally I'd like to see Elizabeth II to be the last monarch and we should use the opportunity to drag the country into the modern world. Though after Brexit I'm not optimistic.
    Have a monarchy knowledge gold star. BTW - the alternative is finding someone to vote for every 5 years. How well do you think that would work?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Then put 'Royal Family' out to competitive tender to see if the UK can get a more economically advantageous deal.
      I think that's what's known as confusing cost with value.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Certainly the queen's husband doesn't become king, but I thought the king's wife doesn't always become queen. Diana would've IIRC and Camilla/Kate won't but I'm not sure the details.
        I think you are right. But I don't know if Prince Charles can decide to make Camilla a Queen consort.

"In the United Kingdom, there is no automatic right of the consort of a queen to receive any title, as with any husband of a suo jure peeress. Queen Elizabeth II (acceded 1952) did not create her husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh a Prince of the United Kingdom until 1957, five years after her accession. He has never been formally designated Prince Consort or King Consort".

Comment

Personally I'd like to see Elizabeth II to be the last monarch and we should use the opportunity to drag the country into the modern world. Though after Brexit I'm not optimistic.
          You novelty hounds find it impossible to grasp, or you forget, that new does not always mean better.

(More often than not these days, besides technical and scientific advances, it's the opposite! )
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
            BTW - the alternative is finding someone to vote for every 5 years. How well do you think that would work?
            Not necessarily. Theresa May is in charge of the government, just like Angel Merkel is in Germany. We have a head of state based on a medieval right of succession; their president is chosen by a vote of the politicians (I forget exactly how). In both cases it's based on the idea that they do not get involved, so what does it matter? If you vote for someone then that gives them an implied mandate, and means they end up having political allegiances, and that's not what a head of state should be doing.

OTOH we could simply do what works in the US and France and make The President the real head of the government.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Not necessarily. Theresa May is in charge of the government, just like Angel Merkel is in Germany. We have a head of state based on a medieval right of succession; their president is chosen by a vote of the politicians (I forget exactly how). In both cases it's based on the idea that they do not get involved, so what does it matter? If you vote for someone then that gives them an implied mandate, and means they end up having political allegiances, and that's not what a head of state should be doing.

OTOH we could simply do what works in the US and France and make The President the real head of the government.
              Christ man, think what you're saying.

FWIW, we never set out to be liked by everybody, just to do a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                You novelty hounds find it impossible to grasp, or you forget, that new does not always mean better.
                Yes the "Republic" is a new idea I've just thought of.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yes the "Republic" is a new idea I've just thought of.
                  I think Plato may have beaten you by over 1600 years.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    I think Plato may have beaten you by over 1600 years.
                    Obviously he was implying that it isn't a new idea. But it would be new for the UK, unless you count the Commonwealth period. Perhaps Vetran would prefer an all-powerful "Lord Protector", like Oliver Cromwell?

Even an elected head of state would throw our constitution completely out of kilter, as they would have no less democratic legitimacy than MPs including the Prime Minister and other ministers.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Obviously he was implying that it isn't a new idea. But it would be new for the UK, unless you count the Commonwealth period. Perhaps Vetran would prefer an all-powerful "Lord Protector", like Oliver Cromwell?

Even an elected head of state would throw our constitution completely out of kilter, as they would have no less democratic legitimacy than MPs including the Prime Minister and other ministers.
                      Cromwell tried to make it hereditary. ...
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X