• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Election Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm. Dunno. Might do. Apathy reigns.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I did the voting thing as I was walking past. Nobody else was there; maybe we'll be looking at a record low turnout.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Probably, but with the biggest sense of apathy I've felt in any election before.

Still haven't made my mind up whether to spoil my ballot of just vote Greens, for a laugh.

If the local Lib Dem candidate for our ward had made even something of an effort to tell us about who he is and his policies then I might have been more inclined to vote for him, even if it was just a "not Tory" vote. But instead, it seems he's more interested in simultaneously running for MP in East Ham:

Election 2017: Lib Dem candidate for East Ham Glanville Williams on ‘most important election in a generation’ - Election - Newham Recorder

Lib Dems came second here in 2013, about 23% to the Tory party's 40%. Turnout of about 35%.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          For many EU citizens probably the last time they are allowed to vote in the UK
          I don't see why EU citizens should have a vote on UK elections. Only British subjects should vote in UK elections.

I've already voted.
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
            I don't see why EU citizens should have a vote on UK elections. Only British subjects should vote in UK elections.

I've already voted.
            Because despite the denials the EU was all about political union.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
              I don't see why British subjects should have a vote in UK elections. Elections should be for the people that are affected; i.e. the people that live here permanently, regardless of what their passport says.

No taxation without representation.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Because despite the denials the EU was all about political union.
                The anthem would be EU, EU uber alles....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  The anthem would be EU, EU uber alles....
                  It's Beethoven's 9th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiOjzA9K7uw

Comment

We currently have a UKIP councillor who has actually got off his arse and made a bit of a difference to some local projects so he's getting my vote.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      Its going to change: -

EU, EU über alles,
                      Über alles in der Welt,
                      Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
                      Brüderlich zusammenhält.
                      Von der Maas bis an die Merkel,
                      Von der Etsch bis an den Belt,
                      |: EU, EU über alles,
                      Über alles in der Welt! :|

Comment