• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UKIP Wipeout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The people who don't like Corbyn are put off by Corbyn.
    The people who do like Corbyn are put off by the PLP's attempts to oust Corbyn.
    The people that do like Corbyn are a vanishingly small percentage of the electorate. They're hardcore lefties. The rest will likely vote Labour for tribal and historical reasons, because they couldn't entertain voting for another party. However, the Tories are clearly going to test those traditions in Wales and the North (outside of Yorkshire where the Tories have always outperformed). You'll notice that May has been minimising the Tory brand in her appearances there, preferring a presidential style election.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      UKIP - proxy Tory Scum party, like Putins green men without insignia or wearing fake republics logo

In this instance I disagree. If you are an old-fashioned right wing libertarian UKIP is the freedom party. All the others want is more control.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        In this instance I disagree. If you are an old-fashioned right wing libertarian UKIP is the freedom party. All the others want is more control.
        UKIP's main policies seem to be telling women what to wear and making them have humiliating medical checks. Liberty!
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          The people that do like Corbyn are a vanishingly small percentage of the electorate. They're hardcore lefties.
          I don't think that's true. The second part, maybe... though how you define "hard core" is quite subjective. I know lots of moderates who like Jezza for his attitudes on pacifism and social justice for instance... people who would typically vote Lib Dem for instance?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            I think it a bit of a shame the council elections seem to be treated as a general election. If my bins have been collected and the local park is in good nick then why not vote for the currect lot on the council?
            I was reading an analyst on The Guardian website when I posted the thread. Apparently in Wales people have turned out in some areas to vote to kick out local councillors due to 3 weekly bin collections.

So it's not all about keeping the current lot in the council.

When I voted last year I voted to ensure the two local Lib Dem councillors got kicked out due to being either useless or thieving. Though in reality one Lib Dem councillor, who was thieving, and the Tory councillor, who did all the work the rest were too damn lazy to do, weren't standing again.

In short if you want people to vote for you or your party answer their parking, bin etc queries in a helpful manner as it gets around who is useless. (All the Tory councillor did is find out who in the local council dealt with the parking queries and cc'ed me in.)
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I don't think that's true. The second part, maybe... though how you define "hard core" is quite subjective. I know lots of moderates who like Jezza for his attitudes on pacifism and social justice for instance... people who would typically vote Lib Dem for instance?
              How best to judge this? If you look at Corbyn's personal polling, it's shockingly bad (worse than Foot at a similar stage). Corbyn has zero popular appeal. When the Commies announce that they aren't standing against Labour, I think that's a sign.

The Labour Party retains some popular appeal. Some of the emerging Labour policies certainly retain popular appeal. Corbyn is devoid of the ability to lead, and he is dragging down both Labour and Labour policies, self-evidently (noting that Labour has a collegiate approach to policy, so he can't even claim a tight control on that).

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I was reading an analyst on The Guardian website when I posted the thread. Apparently in Wales people have turned out in some areas to vote to kick out local councillors due to 3 weekly bin collections.

So it's not all about keeping the current lot in the council.

When I voted last year I voted to ensure the two local Lib Dem councillors got kicked out due to being either useless or thieving. Though in reality one Lib Dem councillor, who was thieving, and the Tory councillor, who did all the work the rest were too damn lazy to do, weren't standing again.

In short if you want people to vote for you or your party answer their parking, bin etc queries in a helpful manner as it gets around who is useless. (All the Tory councillor did is find out who in the local council dealt with the parking queries and cc'ed me in.)
                I should have been a bit clearer. Entirely agree with what you've written. My point was it should be a local vote for local issues - whether good or bad.

Comment

UKIP got what they wanted, don't see the point of them now.

The people have spoken and May is the right person to take us out.

If the sky falls we'll find out in due course, unless of course as I suspect we all get nuked on the 13th May.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    I should have been a bit clearer. Entirely agree with what you've written. My point was it should be a local vote for local issues - whether good or bad.
                    I reckon a good percentage of the 20-40% in each area who turn out to vote will be voting on local issues or because they recognised/personally know the councillor.

I remember when the BNP got loads of council seats years ago. They did SFA for that council so the next time the election came round again they all got kicked out. However the party were still making waves nationally until UKIP came along.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      BBC reporting that The Rubbish Party have won a seat in Scotland on a promise to clean up the area.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X