• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inferitance tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I shall try that when the tax man calls. I'm sure it will be fine, as long as I'm a Duke or Earl or some such.
    If you have a properly set up trust you have nothing to worry about.
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
      Yeah sure.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Tax is supposed to be on estate, and estate size is known - take 40% off trusts, easy...
        Nobody has inherited the estate therefore there is no inheritance tax to pay. Trusts do not own estates, they only execute the settlors' instructions.

Let's think of the following case:

Your neighbour lives in a house he lets a room in. The rent ends up in his daughter's bank account to pay for her studies. Once day the neighbour comes round for tea and asks you to keep an eye on the house while he's gone for holidays in France. He promises to bring you a bottle of your favourite wine.

Do you get slapped with an inheritance bill because of that? No.

A trust is a very similar concept, except the neighbour goes on a very long, one-way holiday and you have a written agreement.
        You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Nobody has inherited the estate therefore there is no inheritance tax to pay. Trusts do not own estates, they only execute the settlors' instructions.
          Last edited by AtW; 7 May 2017, 21:10.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            You are aware Ed and David Milliband - those Letfie Labourites inherited their father's property in a similar way?

That's why I don't fall for the Tories tricks on inheritance tax. Anyone with wealth makes a trust to avoid it. Only little people who end up with wealth e.g. through property pay it.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You are aware Ed and David Milliband - those Letfie Labourites inherited their father's property in a similar way?

That's why I don't fall for the Tories tricks on inheritance tax. Anyone with wealth makes a trust to avoid it. Only little people who end up with wealth e.g. through property pay it.
              You know, except all the aristocracy who ended up broke when they couldn't pay the IHT on an estate made of property and had to give it to the National Trust. At least that's what dad told me - granted I was a kid and he was very anti-Labour but didn't IHT changes from a past (Labour?) government effectively end the aristocracy because they couldn't simply pass vast estates from generation to generation? There are not many proper aristos left.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                You know, except all the aristocracy who ended up broke when they couldn't pay the IHT on an estate made of property and had to give it to the National Trust. At least that's what dad told me - granted I was a kid and he was very anti-Labour but didn't IHT changes from a past (Labour?) government effectively end the aristocracy because they couldn't simply pass vast estates from generation to generation? There are not many proper aristos left.
                Indeed. The 1950s proper poshos got a right hammering, although they'd were losing ground from the 1920s.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  Indeed. The 1950s proper poshos got a right hammering, although they'd were losing ground from the 1920s.
                  Thank goodness. Victorian times provided the UK with the greatest empire the world has seen. Yet most UK citizens lived in poverty.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Thank goodness. Victorian times provided the UK with the greatest empire the world has seen. Yet most UK citizens lived in poverty.
                    Most of the world did too. Were punitive death duties of the 1950s was a way of correcting wrongs (real or otherwise) from a previous age?

Comment

Or live in a country with no inheritance tax.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X