• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reality is not real.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember some scientist wondering where matter sucked into a black hole goes as matter cannot be destroyed. He postulated that matter does not exit - we are just holographic projections from the edge of the universe!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Irrespective of whether it is what happens, it is religious crap and not scientific fact.
      If it happens, then it's objective. If we know that it happens (even if afterwards), then it's been verified. Until then, I concede it cannot be a scientific fact. However, that simply means that it can't be tested by scientific means. Since Turing, we've known that there are propositions that are entirely reasonable that are not testable. The reasonableness or rationality of a proposition, I'd submit, cannot be determined objectively - it's a matter of opinion.

I think this world is real. Can't prove it, and can't think of any tests that could verify it one way or another, or even hint at being true - which leads me to the conclusion that spending more time thinking about it possibly being not real is a waste of time.

It's certainly very surreal on occasion.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        If it happens, then it's objective. If we know that it happens (even if afterwards), then it's been verified. Until then, I concede it cannot be a scientific fact. However, that simply means that it can't be tested by scientific means. Since Turing, we've known that there are propositions that are entirely reasonable that are not testable. The reasonableness or rationality of a proposition, I'd submit, cannot be determined objectively - it's a matter of opinion.

I think this world is real. Can't prove it, and can't think of any tests that could verify it one way or another, or even hint at being true - which leads me to the conclusion that spending more time thinking about it possibly being not real is a waste of time.

It's certainly very surreal on occasion.
        Elon Musk: The chance we are not living in a computer simulation is 'one in billions' | The Independent

I'm with Elon on this. It seems infeasible that life is not a false construct.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Life after death, gnomes, pixies, whatever your fancy - there is no reason to think any of them exist. But call it something other than superstition if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Life after death, gnomes, pixies, whatever your fancy - there is no reason to think any of them exist. But call it something other than superstition if you want.
            I've been to Zürich and a Frank Black concert.

If someone has what they believe is evidence that the Great Pumpkin exists, then they might have a good reason to think it does. Anyway pursuit of all this was simply that I was interested for few minutes in the question - what would have to happen for the idea of "life after death" not to be a matter of faith/superstition/irrationality, but to be a scientific fact?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

One in three people believe they have a guardian angel. And they are right. Its called luck.

Statistics is hard for humans to grasp.

Comment

I've been to Zürich and a Frank Black concert.

If someone has what they believe is evidence that the Great Pumpkin exists, then they might have a good reason to think it does. Anyway pursuit of all this was simply that I was interested for few minutes in the question - what would have to happen for the idea of "life after death" not to be a matter of faith/superstition/irrationality, but to be a scientific fact?
                I love School of Rock

Comment

Reality may or not be real.

Pip in a poke is definitely not real.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Reality may or not be real.

Pip in a poke is definitely not real.
                    <----- Take a look at that.

I'm way out of your league.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      One in three people believe they have a guardian angel. And they are right. Its called luck.

Statistics is hard for humans to grasp.
                      My old headmaster told us there's no such thing a luck, just hard work.

Comment

Working...
                      X