• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshoreism of the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    I thought the verb meant to hint or say subtly. ...
    It does mean exactly that (if we're still talking about the verb "intimate").
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Innit, bruv.
      Nah you just teach them to say

******* init bruv
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        So:
        It was you making the mistake, not him.
        You assert that this guy worships a Donkey (your capital D no doubt added for importance of said donkey)
        I was suggesting that I was less skilled than him.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          He laughed at a non-Brit for using a word, correctly, in a way that he didn't know. When it was pointed out, instead of admitting he got it wrong, he continued to justify himself. That really is execrable behaviour.

Rubbish. It's an entirely normal word which educated people will know. It might not be used every day (or at all in the Daily Mail), but it's certainly not archaic or obscure. For all you know, it is in daily use in India - they have a tendency to use more formal terms in written communications.

edit:
          And it turns out the usage is common in Indian English. here we have it from the horse's mouth.
          2. Intimate

In India, there is a rather unusual usage of this word in the context of informing or notifying someone, which connotes common ancestry with “revert”. “Once I revert, I will intimate you” can be intimidating to handle, we imagine.

so its an Indian Englishism. Pretty much what I said.

Thankyou.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            so its an Indian Englishism. Pretty much what I said.

Thankyou.
            But "I will intimate you" in that sense is ungrammatical in British English. It would be more correct to say "I will intimate to you".

But no British person would say that on its own these days as it sounds absurdly quaint and precious. They might at a pinch say something like "My boss intimated to me off the record that I'd have a decent bonus this year, but I won't find out officially until next week."

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              But "I will intimate you" in that sense is ungrammatical in British English. It would be more correct to say "I will intimate to you".

But no British person would say that on its own these days as it sounds absurdly quaint and precious. They might at a pinch say something like "My boss intimated to me off the record that I'd have a decent bonus this year, but I won't find out officially until next week."
              The offshore gentleman said "he will intimate when it is done", which is perfectly correct.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Apparently he will 'Intimate' when done.

made me chuckle, I would probably insult their God or Donkey if I tried to speak Hindi.
                Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                He laughed at a non-Brit for using a word, correctly, in a way that he didn't know. When it was pointed out, instead of admitting he got it wrong, he continued to justify himself. That really is execrable behaviour.

Rubbish. It's an entirely normal word which educated people will know. It might not be used every day (or at all in the Daily Mail), but it's certainly not archaic or obscure. For all you know, it is in daily use in India - they have a tendency to use more formal terms in written communications.

edit:
                And it turns out the usage is common in Indian English. here we have it from the horse's mouth.
                2. Intimate

In India, there is a rather unusual usage of this word in the context of informing or notifying someone, which connotes common ancestry with “revert”. “Once I revert, I will intimate you” can be intimidating to handle, we imagine.
                Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                The offshore gentleman said "he will intimate when it is done", which is perfectly correct.
                There was certainly no suggestion from the original post that the verb was treated as a transitive verb.

Comment

But its not good English idiom, and idiom is important for clarity; which why there are hundreds of English born post grads employed on TEFL courses around the world. English has few rules which makes it very hard for non-native speakers to learn the correct idiom.

For instance we would never say "He seemed to be a very annoyed policeman", we would say "The policeman seemed to be very annoyed".
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Yup, assuming he meant "indicate or hint confidingly" rather than just a synonym for "indicate" or "inform".

Comment

Once you get used to speaking to foreigners, you make allowances for strange idioms, and different English usage. vetran's example was just sillyness on his part, combined with an apparent (and obviously massively misplaced) sense of superiority.

I was once asked how the snow had been for my ski holiday. I replied it was a bit mushy - when my (German) boss didn't understand, I looked up the word for "mushy" in German, and tried that. She went quite pink and started laughing. She wouldn't tell me what I'd said that was so funny.

Turned out it is a slang word that means the same as when a woman might be described as "wet".
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X