• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Expats in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Yes but that's 8 years, or at least it is in Germany. I think after 5 you get a EC permanent residence permit that allows you to move elsewhere in the EU (except Denmark, Ireland and that formerly great island that nobody talks about anymore), but you can get the right to stay in Germany permanently after a couple of years.

And citizenship is a big step. I can't imagine my Dad wanting to become a French citizen unless it's his only option.
    Yes, but whilst we're in the EU you can hold both passports. I'm 8 years in Germany a year before Ausgang. Phew - just better pass dem test!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I am not moving to quire citizenship or to get EU passport to work in Europe, I genuinely just want to move to retire kind of thing, its something I wanted to do for a while but needed to do some contracts to pay more of the mortgage...I'd also like to take my family with me, which maybe a problem as they are too young to retire. I can show income like BTL ( however one doesn't know how the BTL will pan out after Brexit if its a hard Brexit !!)

My grandparents are not Irish ...

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
        I am not moving to quire citizenship or to get EU passport to work in Europe, ...
        Then like any US citizen currently, for Germany at least, you'll need to apply for a Visa every so many years and at least B1/2 in the lingo.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

UK Expats in Europe...............and ye shall knowest them by their interminable whining and bitching about the democratic wishes of a country they have long since departed and stopped contributing to.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I recall long time ago many here had properties in France, I think a few actually had their families living in France while they go contracting wherever required. Am sure some of you may have properties in Spain and the like... I expect the ones who were there for a while can get an EU passport.. what about the ones who just owned a holiday property?

What is the view with regards the Brexit now?? I have planned to move to Europe someday permanently, am contracting in Europe now, but would like to move permanently not for work, just to live there. I know its a bad time now with guarantee of UK expats rights living in Europe.. anyone have any thought on moving at this bad time??
            Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            On the legalities, a period of residency (not property ownership) is required to qualify for citizenship. Some countries (like Spain) do not recognise dual citizenship, but I don't know whether in practice they have a way of enforcing the repudiation of British citizenship.

Do you happen to have an Irish grandparent? Irish citizenship through birth or descent
            There are some EU countries that don’t recognise dual citizenship but the rule is not enforced with the exception of Austria. In fact the EU says that citizens should not be barred from having dual nationality.

Residency is the main path to obtaining citizenship but it is not the only factor. Owning property will help a lot as it is proof of address and proof of paying council tax and utility bills.

A first move would be to open up a bank account in the country of your choice. (Do this NOW).

Another tip is to open up a limited company in the country of your choice even if it is dormant. Some countries will encourage new business start-ups and you can start up a company with one Euro and a free business bank account.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              UK Expats in Europe...............and ye shall knowest them by their interminable whining and bitching about the democratic wishes of a country they have long since departed and stopped contributing to.

Not the expats I know. Brexit has just speeded up the intent to become a citizen of the only true democracy in Europe.

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              There are some EU countries that don’t recognise dual citizenship but the rule is not enforced with the exception of Austria. In fact the EU says that citizens should not be barred from having dual nationality.

Residency is the main path to obtaining citizenship but it is not the only factor. Owning property will help a lot as it is proof of address and proof of paying council tax and utility bills.

A first move would be to open up a bank account in the country of your choice. (Do this NOW).

Another tip is to open up a limited company in the country of your choice even if it is dormant. Some countries will encourage new business start-ups and you can start up a company with one Euro and a free business bank account.
              You want to be careful of that. Owning property or even a ltd co in Switzerland will not give you a residency permit, nor a work permit, meaning you're limited to 3 months stay if you're not part of the EU. I can imagine that once Britain has left the EU, British citizens will find that they are in a similar situation.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I am going the Irish Passport route myself
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Many countries won't allow you to open up a bank account without a permanent address in the country along with proof that you reside there such as a utility bill
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Not the expats I know. Brexit has just speeded up the intent to become a citizen of the only true democracy in Europe.

You want to be careful of that. Owning property or even a ltd co in Switzerland will not give you a residency permit, nor a work permit, meaning you're limited to 3 months stay if you're not part of the EU. I can imagine that once Britain has left the EU, British citizens will find that they are in a similar situation.
                    You are quite right and the same goes for the rest of the EU. My suggestions are in support of obtaining a residents permit.

If Brexit goes horribly wrong, there were be many disappointed property owners who will be bound by the three or six month stay limitation.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I am not moving to quire citizenship or to get EU passport to work in Europe, I genuinely just want to move to retire kind of thing, its something I wanted to do for a while but needed to do some contracts to pay more of the mortgage...I'd also like to take my family with me, which maybe a problem as they are too young to retire. I can show income like BTL ( however one doesn't know how the BTL will pan out after Brexit if its a hard Brexit !!)

My grandparents are not Irish ...
                      Interesting where, Mediterranean ?

A lot of Germans retire in Turkey so it I doubt it will be a problem.

What about similar places in the UK such as Bognor Regis?
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X