• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working on two contracts at the same time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on two contracts at the same time

Hi all
    I am working on a contract at the moment where there is literally zero work. Most of my tasks have been taken over by an over zealous permie counterpart in a muscling in kind of way. My protests have fallen on deaf ears, and rather than come across as petulant and possessive, I'm letting him get on with it to be honest. I'm billing as normal and all seems fine with that. I'm looking for something else and have been offered a new contract with a different company. They have asked me to do some work for them during my notice period, maybe 1 or 2 days. The double income seems really tempting, but I'm not sure whether this is acceptable or not. I would probably be at home during those days or even on the site of my new contract. Any advice appreciated.

Originally posted by LHM View Post
    Hi all
    I am working on a contract at the moment where there is literally zero work. Most of my tasks have been taken over by an over zealous permie counterpart in a muscling in kind of way. My protests have fallen on deaf ears, and rather than come across as petulant and possessive, I'm letting him get on with it to be honest. I'm billing as normal and all seems fine with that. I'm looking for something else and have been offered a new contract with a different company. They have asked me to do some work for them during my notice period, maybe 1 or 2 days. The double income seems really tempting, but I'm not sure whether this is acceptable or not. I would probably be at home during those days or even on the site of my new contract. Any advice appreciated.
    It wouldn't be ethical to charge both companies and do half the work (unless you can work from home and there's feck all chance of getting caught out)

I once did three contracts at the same time. 2 days, 1 day, 2 days etc, as they were all quite slow. This in fact, then backfired and it gave them all time to get their tulip together and I landed up running at 100mph all the time. So I've decided that I won't do that again.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The old man often does two jobs at the same time but it can get messy.

Comment

"Acceptable" is what the contract says. If the contract says that you're paid T&M for work done or that you cannot work for competitors (unlikely, and bad), then obviously it would be fraudulent and/or a breach of contract. If you're paid fixed price and you've delivered succesfully or the contract says that any notice should be paid regardless (bad for other reasons), then you can obviously bill. It isn't rocket science, but I suspect you're asking whether fraud is OK on a T&M contract....

Comment

Originally posted by LHM View Post
          Hi all
          Jfdi whats the worst that can happen?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            It wouldn't be ethical to charge both companies and do half the work (unless you can work from home and there's feck all chance of getting caught out)

I once did three contracts at the same time. 2 days, 1 day, 2 days etc, as they were all quite slow. This in fact, then backfired and it gave them all time to get their tulip together and I landed up running at 100mph all the time. So I've decided that I won't do that again.
            Have you ever added up the hours on a solicitor charges for?
            Last edited by Paddy; 10 May 2017, 21:16.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Have you ever added up the hours a solicitor charges for?
              They work long days.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                They work long days.
                A lawyer dies and goes to heaven. “There must be some mistake. I’m only 55.” Saint Peter checks his book. “Actually, you’re late – we added up your billable hours and you’re 110 years old”.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  A lawyer dies and goes to heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I used to struggle with ethics.

But then I realised I'm charging for my experience, knowledge, part project experience, not just time and material.

Working on multiple projects has its pitfalls, however, try and ensure you plan properly. Never found it possible to switch one day to the next for different clients. Perhaps one week here another there...
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X