• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working on two contracts at the same time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I used to struggle with ethics.

But then I realised I'm charging for my experience, knowledge, part project experience, not just time and material.

Working on multiple projects has its pitfalls, however, try and ensure you plan properly. Never found it possible to switch one day to the next for different clients. Perhaps one week here another there...

And just to think, lucky CUK gets all the benefits of those attributes free and gratis
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

But then I realised I'm charging for my experience, knowledge, part project experience, not just time and material.

Working on multiple projects has its pitfalls, however, try and ensure you plan properly. Never found it possible to switch one day to the next for different clients. Perhaps one week here another there...
      I frequently work on multiple contracts. My minimum granularity is the half-day. Hence some weeks, I might well bill for more than 5 days in total. However, the clients know I don't just work for them, so I rarely charge one client for five days in a single week.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        so I rarely charge one client for five days in a single week.
        Ich auch..
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks all. It is a short term thing through to the end of contract no 1, and so that I can get on-boarded quickly with the new client. I've arranged to bill by the hour so that I can do this in the evenings, and if I need to go and visit them in that time, I'll take a day 'holiday' to do this.

Comment

If the contract does not specify otherwise, my take on it is that you are being paid for the first client to be available to work for them for a minimum amount of time up to the contractor-side notice period, whether there is work for you to do or not.
            Therefore yes you can do a second contract to run alongside the first, but only if you can drop the second with no notice period should work be provided by the first.

The problem is that no-notice period contracts are rare (in my experience).

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Jfdi whats the worst that can happen?
              Problem will arise if agent does a PES check and calls up your current client/agent to confirm your leaving date was X

Client says hang on I can see him at his desk

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                Problem will arise if agent does a PES check and calls up your current client/agent to confirm your leaving date was X

Client says hang on I can see him at his desk
                Isn't PES something to do with employment?

Comment

So you moved to thuthics?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                  X