• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pet Insurance - How much do you all pay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I couldn't afford the cost of having it put down I wouldn't have a pet.

Comment

My cocker spaniel died last year I had had him insured since a pup, started out about £8 per month and by the time he went (aged 14) it had gone to £23 per month.

He needed medical treatment twice during his life, both times as a result of an a minor accident on account of him being a bonehead. Couple of hundred pounds each. The premiums didn't go up by much after each claim.

However, i had the 'cover for life' for all conditions too, what i hadn't realised is that the % of the bill the insurance would pay decreased as he got older, so when we got the final bill the insurance only paid out 60% of the cost after I had paid the excess. I realised this was what had made his insurance so cheap. If i had bothered to check properly i probably wouldn't have bothered renewing it.

It did however come with life insurance, which covered his 'private, individual' cremation costs and very fancy urn

Comment

Pet Insurance is a complete con IMHO. I've been online and played around with same details but diff breeds. Mine (Bull Terrier) goes up by 150 notes, and when trying to get a payout they really try all the stops from doing so.

I normally have money set aside. We lost our first bully to PKD and vet bills were around £800, however I would have paid more in yearly insurance costs. The vets seems to be wary of trying it on with me when I tell them I don't have pet insurance.

I read an article last year from a former vet who said most vets are in collusion with pet insurance companies as they can basically charge what they like, emotional blackmail is used heavily. (One vet I went to had on tv loop advert were actors crying as they lost "our dog, Benji" to lungworm! WTF!)

They don't give a crap about the interbreeding as well it makes them more money. Eg female Old English bull dogs can't whelp normally so they need a cesarean - cue the vet recommending this with his large bill coming afterwards.

Vets are like dentists - customer/pet care comes hand in hand with they are a business as well and most are very successful.

</rantover>

qh
        Last edited by quackhandle; 11 May 2017, 13:48.
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Only insure for catastrophic loss.

Comment

Just over £500 for a 2 year-old German Shepherd.

For me, it's not just about the medical expenses but the third-party coverage in case he should injure someone or cause a road accident.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              You shouldn't fear brexiters, we are all loveable softies really.

Poor old Phil. He can't even spell his name right.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Poor old Phil. He can't even spell his name right.
                He looks like he's got a good bit of weight on him as well.

Comment

Working...
                X