• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pet Insurance - How much do you all pay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet Insurance - How much do you all pay?

So we've had a dog for two years, pedigree flat coat retreiver cost about 900 quid.

Insurance was 580 quid a year and has gone up to 685 quid per year even though we've never claimed.

It has something called 'Covered 4 Life' and seems to have everything, but the excess is 250 quid, so basically whenever the dog goes to the vets for something small, we've landed up having to pay, So that's 1200 quid down the swanny so far and they want almost 700 for the next year.

This seems rather excessive for a pet which if it cost 10,000's to have put right I'd rather chuck it in the canal.

What do those people on the forum who have real pets(ie. Dogs) actually pay?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I have a shotgun license, don't need pet insurance.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

What do those people on the forum who have real pets(ie. Dogs) actually pay?
      You should have got a mongrel would have been cheaper to insure. Then you could have pretended to your kids it was a fancy designer dog breed.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If it dies, just get another one....

Comment

I just have a little puppet parrot. His quawk stopped working once but I fixed that with a small plastic bag.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Save up the minor ailments until the economics of a trip to the vet makes sense.

Comment

I had a cat for about 20 years. Cost me very little in "maintenance" and I never had her insured. It's all about your attitude to risk at the end of the day, in much the same way that you might not bother getting mobile phone insurance. If the common ailments for the breed are more than you'd be willing to pay then insurance might be a good idea. Otherwise, I'd suggest accepting the risk of a big bill one day and prepare for it by putting aside a few bob each month into a rainy day fund.

Comment

Got cheapo E&L Insurance.

Made a claim last November (about £400). Still waiting for them to cough up...

Comment

Dress the dog in a full Burka and take it down the local A&E. Sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Dress the dog in a full Burka and take it down the local A&E. Sorted.
                    Just make sure it doesn't get beaten up by a Brexiteer en route.

Comment

Working...
                    X