• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Things People Put in Fridges

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Things People Put in Fridges

People seem to put things in fridges that never went near the fridge years ago.

Examples include vegetables, tomato ketchup, pickles, eggs. I mean, why the hell would you put pickles in a fridge - by their very nature, they should last months, if not years, at room temperature. The thing that spoils pickles is mould and refrigeration is no protection against mould.

Anyway, there's a really inneresting article in today's Mail which tells us that that the "experts" recommend we store eggs in the centre of the fridge in their original packaging and not to take them out of their box and put them in the fridge door.

Now, I can accept the bit about keeping eggs in their packaging if they are going in the fridge because eggs can easily absorb flavours from other stuff you may have in the fridge, e.g last night's curry leftovers but the need for refrigeration I have to take issue with.

I remember when I was a girl my mother would have a basket of eggs on the kitchen windowsill and it would get topped up every day from our free range chickens and the fresh ones would be mixed in with the ones that were maybe from a week or more ago. Not only that, because the hens were truly free range, we'd occassionally discover a clutch of eggs in the hedgerow that may have been there for weeks. Into the basket they went - so long as they sank whyen put in a bowl of water first.

Never did us any harm. Who need the advice of "experts" eh?

Ketchup now has less salt in it than in yesteryear - so it does need to be kept refrigerated. Bread and eggs should not be stored in the fridge.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
      People seem to put things in fridges that never went near the fridge years ago.

Examples include vegetables, tomato ketchup, pickles, eggs. I mean, why the hell would you put pickles in a fridge - by their very nature, they should last months, if not years, at room temperature. The thing that spoils pickles is mould and refrigeration is no protection against mould.

Anyway, there's a really inneresting article in today's Mail which tells us that that the "experts" recommend we store eggs in the centre of the fridge in their original packaging and not to take them out of their box and put them in the fridge door.

Now, I can accept the bit about keeping eggs in their packaging if they are going in the fridge because eggs can easily absorb flavours from other stuff you may have in the fridge, e.g last night's curry leftovers but the need for refrigeration I have to take issue with.

I remember when I was a girl my mother would have a basket of eggs on the kitchen windowsill and it would get topped up every day from our free range chickens and the fresh ones would be mixed in with the ones that were maybe from a week or more ago. Not only that, because the hens were truly free range, we'd occassionally discover a clutch of eggs in the hedgerow that may have been there for weeks. Into the basket they went - so long as they sank whyen put in a bowl of water first.

Never did us any harm. Who need the advice of "experts" eh?
      Hmmm.

Comment

Defiantly keep eggs out of the fridge unless you live in the tropics.

Raw meat goes in the bottom and away from anything else.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Raw meat goes in the bottom and away from anything else.
          I bet it does.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            I bet it does.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Anyone else wonder what happened to velcro shoes?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Ketchup now has less salt in it than in yesteryear - so it does need to be kept refrigerated. Bread and eggs should not be stored in the fridge.
                I realise this but I've never kept ketchup in the fridge and never had a problem. It doesn't last long enough to go bad.

Eggs do not need to go in the fridge either. They might last a bit longer but again, most eggs get eaten within 2 weeks in this house!

Comment

The reason people keep food in the fridge is modern houses are warmer.

If you go through food quickly e.g. ketchup, eggs, jam then don't put them in the fridge.

It's like people nowadays don't have any commonsense...
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The other reason people put stuff in the fridge is because there is never enough cupboard space - especially in a modern micro house.
                    Oh, and for those that can read, it tells them on the jar to store in the fridge!

Obviously people on here all have huge kitchens with plenty of larder space, range cookers, and walk in fridges though.

Comment

Working...
                    X