• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toastmasters or similar anyone a member?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toastmasters or similar anyone a member?

Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking I now have a few new projects where I am going to be the main man not the geek.

Anyone tried toastmasters or similar - any recommendations?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I've been along to a few Toastmaster meetings.

Did a prepared talk and a couple of table talks (where you're asked to talk for a couple of minutes on a subject that's announced to you only a couple of seconds beforehand - oh, and you don't even know you're going to be asked to talk that evening!). Also did a couple of 'roles' as well. Grammarian was one.

Also Feemasonry gives you ample opportunity to stand up and speak, both formally in meeting, and less formally at dinner afterwards. Apparently.

I'd say go along to Toastmasters and give it a go as a 'no brainer'.

You can't ask to be a Freemason, and you can't be asked to join the Freemasons...

[edit] if you're a 'property person', then Progressive Property/ Progressive Education in Peterborough offer at least one public speaking course [/edit]
    Last edited by RetSet; 12 May 2017, 21:06.

Comment

I'm a fried bread master. Always crispy with no grease.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
        You can't ask to be a Freemason, and you can't be asked to join the Freemasons...
        Its a lottery? Or which school you went to?

Thanks for the advice!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X