• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High Mileage LR Disco 4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Mileage LR Disco 4

Looking to swap our MPV soon, and considering a used LR Disco, with 90K + miles on the clock, there are some decent spec ones out there to be had for mid-teens price wise.

The only thing compared to our current MPV is the higher running costs, but if the loan is so low that will make up for the extra funds each month.

Anyway are High milage Disco's going to be unreliable?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

might find more info here:
    DISCO3.CO.UK - Index

I have a 13 year old disco 3. No major issues. ( until I said this)
    3 and 4 are very similar.

Things to check:
    with the car locked, give each door in turn a tug, It might open ( common fault lock not engaging).

Try to set it to off-road, then normal height then access height, cycle through these a couple of times.
    ( common fault, pneumatic suspension compressor/reservoir/valves leaking).

Oh and check intercooler hoses for splitting, leading to smokescreen when accelerating) mine is currently held together with a coke tin, gaffer tape and jubilee clips.
    If it comes with a removable towbar, make sure you get the little keys to unlock it, then unlock it and stow it inside when you're not using it. They rust into place otherwise, there's a recall on some which rust and fall off..

Bit too tall to get into some multi-storey carparks, and a huge car to park anyway, but I like it.

edit: and first timing belt is due around 80K, that's a big job on a disco, need to take the shell off the chassis.
    You do know it has two chassis?

Comment

I recently looked at getting a Disco 4.

£500 a year road tax, or get a 2014 onwards model and road tax becomes £295. (the difference made by start/stop functionality).

Looking at a 2014 SE Tech model, I found there was not a particularly large price difference between average milers and high milers.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Loan? Car with 90K miles? How far this forum has fallen
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
          Anyway are High milage Disco's going to be unreliable?
          Depends.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just a general observation.

I've had a couple of cars where problems with the electronic gadgetry set me back a lot of money once they were of a certain age. Had an ECU go on a VW & stealership wanted £1k + to replace, what, a chip that probably cost a couple of quid to produce.

Diesel engine in itself should be good for 200k miles. I'm guessing around 90k you should make sure the cambelt has been attended to?

Comment

Buying diesel car could be a big mistake - after election they will tax them hard, only question how bad it's going to be: only old models or all get hit.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Buying diesel car could be a big mistake - after election they will tax them hard, only question how bad it's going to be: only old models or all get hit.
                ^^^^This

If you live anywhere near a large city and especially near London, where you have to drive through/across the city DO NOT get a new or nearly new diesel car.

If you have an older car keep it until it becomes uneconomical but expect to pay congestion/toll charges for the privilege of driving in cities in the UK.

The UK has to sort out pollution levels and they cannot leave it until after Brexit to escape doing so.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Forget it, buy a Land Cruiser instead.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Forget it, buy a Range Rover instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X