• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

]British firms offering non-UK nationals an average of 28 per cent more than locals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This "anti immigrant" view, in so far as it exists, has been created by mass immigration at all levels that does nothing for the wealth of British citizens. Any rise in GDP is divided by a similarly increased population meaning the average citizen is no better off while having huge downsides, the pressure on our schools, housing, land and infrastructure etc. Not to mention our prisons! Once we are shot of those pressures I doubt there will be resentment of the high performing, useful migrants that we actually need.

To have free movement in the EU you must be a citizen of an EU country. As I said, most from outside the EU applying for British citizenship are from Commonwealth countries, they want to be in Britain. You keep repeating this idea that people want British citizenship so they can go to other European countries. I can't see that it is true, got any facts to back it up?

Uncertainties always impact currency values, the Euro fell sharply before the recent French elections, we should not read too much into short term fluctuations, time will tell. As for the EURO zone being safe, there are huge problems still facing it.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      You keep repeating this idea that people want British citizenship so they can go to other European countries. I can't see that it is true, got any facts to back it up?
      I am an immigrant and for me UK being part of EU was very important consideration in deciding which country I should choose as my home.

UK Govt could have easily forced anybody arriving to UK to work here few years before they can get any benefits, Germany did that - got sued and won in EU court, but this wasn't done in this country because Tory Scum certainly wanted to exit EU and anything that helped on the way was very useful.

Comment

I said "got any facts to back it up?" And you just relate your personal experience. Waste of time continuing that conversation really.

Quite true that the UK government could have been much stricter within EU rules, and even ignored many as some nations seem to do. Bliar could have restricted migration from Poland etc. for some years and, AFAIK, we are within our rights to remove EU criminals or those who are a burden on the state.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 14 May 2017, 22:07.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You want facts about what will happen in the future?

I told you what is (in my view) obvious logical reasoning for anybody taking risk of moving to another country (and being good enough at getting to others if the person so desires), you'll get your "facts" in due course over the next 4-7 years.

Comment

You want facts about what will happen in the future?
            Er, no. I asked if you had any facts to support the idea that many people who want British citizenship see being able to work in the EU as a major factor.
            bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Er, no. I asked if you had any facts to support the idea that many people who want British citizenship see being able to work in the EU as a major factor.
              It probably wasn't as major as current nasty anti-immigrant climate, I doubt people would want to go through this even if UK passport was still accepted in EU.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                I am an immigrant and for me UK being part of EU was very important consideration in deciding which country I should choose as my home.

UK Govt could have easily forced anybody arriving to UK to work here few years before they can get any benefits, Germany did that - got sued and won in EU court, but this wasn't done in this country because Tory Scum certainly wanted to exit EU and anything that helped on the way was very useful.
                Where did you migrate from?
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

The Brain Drain: https://www.thelocal.de/20170512/num...er-brexit-vote

Most of these people are highly educated skilled people who would, at some point, return to work in the UK. This is happening across all of Europe not just the places mentioned in the article (Darmstadt is notable in that it is a very hi-tech town which had a very large British community, now slightly reduced, all working in those industries) and the people who are applying for citizenship are people who see the value of working cross border. In the future they will still be able to work cross border, just not so easily in the UK, if they want to work there, that is.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Tory Scum might just get what they want - big reduction in immigration, starting with those who actually were of great use to this country.
                    Why single out just one party? Labour wanted an out too, in 1975 and 1983, as the Guardian reminds us:

"The honeymoon was barely over before the bickering began. Within a year, Britain was calling for wholesale reform to the common agricultural policy (CAP) and in 1975 Harold Wilson’s Labour government called a referendum.

Seven Labour cabinet ministers campaigned for Brexit then, but an impassioned Margaret Thatcher positively shone for remain, and two-thirds of the country voted to stay. Michael Foot’s Labour party made a breakup with Europe a key plank of its 1983 election platform but was heavily defeated by Thatcher’s still largely pro-European Conservative forces."

Labour today is also keen to support Brexit. There is no significant political party in the UK today who wants the country to stay in the EU.
                    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Brexit: Number of foreign tech job applications down 50% since EU referendum vote | The Independent

For those eligible for European citizenship, this might be a good argument for getting it.

You can get a significant premium, simply by not being British
                      The sample was of 2 companies. One company who pays 10% less than UK workers. And NLyUK enterprises who pay 66% more than UK workers.

Its a sign the UK is doing very well and needs to train more people.

What will happen after Brexit is that the UK will still be doing very well. Though IT will be sold out to give the UK an advantage in other areas. Like the WTO talks for a while.

Ooooops. Sorry about that. I posted something sensible that Bremoaners can't understand. I am tempted to post "feck off you s" as they might just about understand that. It would be nice for us all to work towards giving the UK the best possible future.

Dealing with a Bremoaner is like owning a dog. You want to be friends. Realistically someone is top dog. So you have to beat them with a rolled up newspaper until the message gets through....

Comment

Working...
                      X