• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Official (if AtW allows) Labour Manifesto Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Neither of them is extreme. It's just unusual for us to have a party leader who dares take a single half-step from dead-centre Makes it more interesting I suppose.
    Yes, there's definitely a choice this time. However, to quote von Bismarck, politics is the art of the possible. It isn't what McDonnell and Corbyn say that worries me (although it does), it's what they believe. When the mask slips, they have seriously hard-left views, not moderate views a half-step from the centre ground. The manifesto isn't hard-left, but it's the product of a policy process that's designed to dilute. You literally cannot take them at face value.

Comment

Where does 123k come from? Seems a bit random.

I bet the Tory manifesto won't be nearly so interesting, it'll just be meaningless bumf i.e. carry on as we are. I have absolutely no idea what the LibDems are standing for!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

As Laura K. writes, we certainly can't .....
        Can't see any posts from this handle?

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          When are you standing as a lib dem candidate? Just need to know so I can come help you with the leafleting.
          Not any time soon, I am happy to help local candidate - gave extra £7k for current campaign, it turned out that their maximum spending is actually very limited - max of £12.5k!!!

You are welcome to come for a glass of wine (or vodka if you prefer anyway)
          Last edited by AtW; 16 May 2017, 12:12.

Comment

There was another 'live' thread as it went on but let's have a proper thread now it's done?

What have we got then?
            • 45% income tax on 80k, 50% on 123k
            • Special levees on companies with very high earners ~300k
            • No raises to NI or VAT
            • CT rising to 26%
            • Abolish tuition fees
            • Nationalise rail, postal service and water
            • Part-nationalisation of energy companies
            • free nursery provision for children 2-5
            • Triple lock pensions guaranteed
            • Brexit as long as it preserves British jobs

What else...? Let's get it straight before we tear it apart
            Nationalise it's a communist strategy.

Comment

Where does 123k come from? Seems a bit random.
              Nah, that's where I reckon removal of personal allowance ends - effective 60% tax zone!

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                Nationalise it's a communist strategy.
                OK, we can call it "Take back control"...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Yes, there's definitely a choice this time. However, to quote von Bismarck, politics is the art of the possible. It isn't what McDonnell and Corbyn say that worries me (although it does), it's what they believe. When the mask slips, they have seriously hard-left views, not moderate views a half-step from the centre ground. The manifesto isn't hard-left, but it's the product of a policy process that's designed to dilute. You literally cannot take them at face value.
                  Many say the same about May/Tories... the claims they plan to dismantle the NHS despite publicly supporting it, etc.
                  Regardless the party isn't Corbyn and McDonnell, and struggles to support them. I don't think the party would allow them to drag it further and further to the left, do you?

I actually think that the things Corbyn says he wants to do as stated are OK. 1)IF as you say it's what they actually want to do, and 2)IF the sums add up. 1)worries me less, but 2)seems a huge problem. If we were a country with vast natural resources and politicians who knew what they are on about, a state-run infrastructure is to me a nice ideal. BUT, it IS an ideal... I think the manifesto is idealistic.
                  Others here will say it's intrinsically wrong even if was affordable, but we end up in the same place I think.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    With the Tories, it'll be to soak the rich with stealth taxes (I predict).
                    No, this time it's different - it won't be very stealthy soaking

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      When are you standing as a lib dem candidate?

Just need to know so I can come help you with the leafleting.
                      btw, I am not convinced that leafleting is the right strategy anyway, sadly in this General Election there is not much time to change strategy, but for next one I'll be ready

One thing is clear though - real desperate need for volunteers in area, because money spending is limited at very low level (even if party can raise it)

Comment

Working...
                      X