• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella companies to be abolished

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
    Eh? Seems relevant.
    While there is apparently a very small chance of a Labour victory, there is nevertheless a chance.

Even in the most likely case of a Tory win by miles, this manifesto may very well remain Labour policy long after Corbyn has gone and into the following election. They can hardly fail to have a more electable leader by then.

It also demonstrates that when choosing who to vote for, both of the major parties will tighten the screws on us, whatever they might say about supporting small businesses.
    You never know, the Tories may even decide they like these particular bits of policy...
    To be fair the Tories can steal the idea when the Taylor review is finished in the Autumn.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

"Banning payroll companies, sometimes known as umbrella companies, which create a false structure to limit employers’ tax liabilities and limit workers’ rights"

Those companies which do not create a false structure to limit employers' tax liabilities and limit workers' rights should be fine though.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        "Banning payroll companies, sometimes known as umbrella companies, which create a false structure to limit employers’ tax liabilities and limit workers’ rights"

Those companies which do not create a false structure to limit employers' tax liabilities and limit workers' rights should be fine though.
        I remember 1997 when GB said he wanted to stop people leaving work as an employee on a Friday and coming back as a contractor on a MOnday.

He means we are all employees. Can't wait until the window cleaner asks me for sick pay....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          To be fair the Tories can steal the idea when the Taylor review is finished in the Autumn.

They could have at least used the Android version naming approach and after the Alexander review had the Bollox review.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
            Of course I blew it all on fast cars and women, but I have learned from my experiences ;-)
            Yes, you should have blown it on fast women and slow horses!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              It was reported in Monday's times the Tories will implement the Taylor review in full..

I also suspect as I've stated before that the Taylor review will require agencies to provide a fee free payment method...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So Steptoe has driven away another couple of million self-employed potential Labour voters at a stroke
                Oi! Don't compare me to that lefty twit!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  How?

Surely the whole point of an umbrella company is that the worker pays the full whack of tax and NICs?

The target of this legislation is deliveroo drivers earning **** all and getting no rights. The sledgehammer used to crack the nut will mean proper freelancers get collared also.

However, I'm really not so sure the Tories also don't have visions on the same. I don't use an Umbrella, so this doesn't impact me. ;-)
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    How?

Surely the whole point of an umbrella company is that the worker pays the full whack of tax and NICs?

The target of this legislation is deliveroo drivers earning **** all and getting no rights. The sledgehammer used to crack the nut will mean proper freelancers get collared also.

However, I'm really not so sure the Tories also don't have visions on the same. I don't use an Umbrella, so this doesn't impact me. ;-)
                    Deliveroo is a different conversation. Their workers are currently schedule C self employed, yet only have a single customer (ok, app) providing all their work....

Umbrella companies are used by agencies because they want to advertise supply teacher jobs say at £150/165 when they used to be advertised at £140 PAYE employers NI deducted. The rates at first looked better for supply teachers and using umbrella's removes risk and pain for the agencies. Downside is teachers aren't getting what they believe was advertised and hence are annoyed.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I don't think so...

Comment

Working...
                      X