• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching in Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    You have to man up and show them you own the place. Let them know who the Billy Big Bollocks is and they'll soon be choking down pole.
    They told me if I want to get on I need to choke the pole.

Now I'm facing a possible 2 year stretch for racially aggravated assault.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      They told me if I want to get on I need to choke the pole.

Now I'm facing a possible 2 year stretch for racially aggravated assault.

Should be a capital crime.

Comment

Build up a 'getting started fund' that will see you OK for the first 3-6 months without being paid.

Consider umbrella because Ltd Co is getting the screws tightened significantly.

Grow some hairy ones and MTFU. Only you can make this happen and its on you 100%.

Good luck - and breath the free air.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Bhav View Post
          Hi All, What is the best way to switch fields in contracting? I want to switch from .Net to Python. Thank you
          Try this

Burden Bros | Contractors
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Step 1. Learn Python.
            Step 2. Apply for jobs that require Python.
            Step 3. Profit!
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

First purchase a python. Make sure you feed it live food rather than dead.

Don't let the cat get too near it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Step 1. Learn Python.
                Step 2. Apply for jobs that require Python.
                Step 3. Profit!
                2a. Discover that pimps cannot understand that a contractor can do other things apart from their last role on their CV.
                2b. Cut you rate to get first gig.

Comment

Python, like a lot of open source projects, is very geeky from the point of view of the online community you'll be interacting with.

I find with the ASP.Net stuff, I can go to sites like stackoverflow and easily find solutions to my issues. Likewise I use Pinal Dave (journey to SQL Authority) for all things SQL related.

But my dabblings with open source software seem to take me to places like GitHub where everybody talks a completely different language to what I'm used to. And I'm sure it's full of geeks who purposely like to make everything as unintelligible as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhav View Post
                    Hi All, What is the best way to switch fields in contracting? I want to switch from .Net to Python. Thank you
                    The best way to get advice is not to post in General. HTHBIDI

You can try and switch, but who wants a Python contractor with no experience?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Find a gig that offers the transition eg. works both on .net and python.
                      Will be hard as these don't pair well.
                      I did transition from .net to javascript this way
                      Last edited by diseasex; 17 May 2017, 09:20.

Comment

Working...
                      X