• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scandinavians vs Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've worked in two Nordic countries and due to the burden of their welfare state they were looking towards a more market driven economy.

In one they expected both the state and the people to be responsible so there was a more sense of community while in the other the state did everything. The complaint from the people I know and knew there is that there is a limited sense of community due to this.

I'm only reminded of this as earlier when it was raining hard someone stopped to ask me directions. As I was very wet already it didn't bother me to give him detailed ones. In both those countries I had incidents in public in bad weather conditions where I could have injured myself. In the one where the state did everything people tutted but no-one offered to help, there is in the other people did come to my aid even though I was actually okay.

Also one thing that is missing is that the UK people never 100% trust the state. This is unlike the Nordic mindset. This one reason why extremist political groups and extreme people find it hard to get power in the UK, and if they have done like monarchs historically they can't maintain it. This is also why parties that are considered at the centre of current political scene get power. So Corbyn may not be hard left if you are currently Nordic but he is if you are currently British.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And please let us not forget VAT levied on private school fees (instant 20% cost increase) and tax on private medical care.

Just on those they can **** right off!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        And please let us not forget VAT levied on private school fees (instant 20% cost increase) and tax on private medical care.

Just on those they can **** right off!
        Ah but if private school fees and medical care were more expensive everyone would use state schooling and the NHS so they would be better.

Outside their utopia - and even inside their own fecking constituencies especially in London - it is well known if you are middle class and educated you can get better healthcare on the NHS as you know how to talk to doctors. You also get better education because you can afford to live in the catchment area of the better state schools. Oh and even in Nordic systems similar happens but not to the same extent and not with the same outcomes. They are s

Comment

If they really are going to scrap university tuition fees, then I am happy with them increasing VAT on private schools, which is nothing by comparison to tuition fees.
          My kids went to private school, and had to pay tuition fees…. I wonder what will they do with historical tuition fees for kids who went to uni since Bliar introduced the fees?

If they really are going to improve NHS, them am happy to give up my private health insurance, or pay the extra tax on it if I really wanted to keep it.

I too worked (still working ) in the Nordic countries, and think its amazing, clean, trains on times, people enjoying good living standards in spite of the higher tax and expensive everything.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
            If they really are going to scrap university tuition fees, then I am happy with them increasing VAT on private schools, which is nothing by comparison to tuition fees.
            My kids went to private school, and had to pay tuition fees…. I wonder what will they do with historical tuition fees for kids who went to uni since Bliar introduced the fees?

If they really are going to improve NHS, them am happy to give up my private health insurance, or pay the extra tax on it if I really wanted to keep it.

I too worked (still working ) in the Nordic countries, and think its amazing, clean, trains on times, people enjoying good living standards in spite of the higher tax and expensive everything.
            Most of Europe have trains are on time. In fact we are the weird ones who have the latest trains.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Most of Europe have trains are on time. In fact we are the weird ones who have the latest trains.
              And most of Europe pay higher taxes than us, in return they have better services, better school, better health care etc etc .. we pay high taxes relatively and still have to privatise everything

Comment

Working...
              X