Pound Euro Exchange Rate Hits New Lows on Wednesday Pound Euro Exchange Rate Hits New Lows on Wednesday - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11

    Super poster

    Hobosapien - scorchio!

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    Inflation rising is when they'd usually look at increasing interest rate to support sterling?

    I don't suppose there's anything in any of the election manifestos about returning interest rates to normal (they've been at 'emergency' level since 2008 ) to reward savers, and slow down the reliance on cheap debt fed consumer spending propping up the economy? Thought not.

    Then again when they expect to keep increasing the national debt to pay for election promises we should accept that debt is the new way of saving. The end game for the UK, USA and other countries addicted to debt is to default, once the west has offloaded it all to China and Asia. What they gonna do, start a war?
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  2. #12

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Sure. Can you mark the decision to hold a referendum and the referendum result on that chart? I'm just trying to demonstrate the positive effect of Brexit on UK competitiveness and the return to a balance of trade surplus. You need to work with me.
    Sure, so long as you mark the same for the FTSE indexes. You can even stick to mid-cap 250 which is a better representation of British businesses.

  3. #13

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Inflation rising is when they'd usually look at increasing interest rate to support sterling?

    I don't suppose there's anything in any of the election manifestos about returning interest rates to normal (they've been at 'emergency' level since 2008 ) to reward savers, and slow down the reliance on cheap debt fed consumer spending propping up the economy? Thought not.

    Then again when they expect to keep increasing the national debt to pay for election promises we should accept that debt is the new way of saving. The end game for the UK, USA and other countries addicted to debt is to default, once the west has offloaded it all to China and Asia. What they gonna do, start a war?
    There's always the IMF.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  4. #14

    Ducklike

    Platypus is NOT a disguised employee

    Platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the pub
    Posts
    8,924

    Default

    I thought it was the Macron effect? He's all chummy with Mutti and together they're going to build a strong and stable EUSSR. Hence Euro's strength.

    blah blah https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...erlin-eurozone

  5. #15

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    I thought it was the Macron effect? He's all chummy with Mutti and together they're going to build a strong and stable EUSSR. Hence Euro's strength.

    blah blah https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...erlin-eurozone
    Meanwhile, the UK nips in with its lean and mean competitive currency and cleans up with a balance of trade surplus.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  6. #16

    Banned

    Fronttoback 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Inflation rising is when they'd usually look at increasing interest rate to support sterling?

    I don't suppose there's anything in any of the election manifestos about returning interest rates to normal (they've been at 'emergency' level since 2008 ) to reward savers, and slow down the reliance on cheap debt fed consumer spending propping up the economy? Thought not.

    Then again when they expect to keep increasing the national debt to pay for election promises we should accept that debt is the new way of saving. The end game for the UK, USA and other countries addicted to debt is to default, once the west has offloaded it all to China and Asia. What they gonna do, start a war?
    This seems logical to me, debt is the new saving. Acquire as much debt as possible because current debt levels cannot be paid off- therefore a haircut is a certainty. So to position oneself for maximum benefit take on as much debt as possible.

    What might happen is that the debt will be exchanged for land. Britain will end up a Chinese colony, like Australia.

    Colonialisation in reverse. Taken to its logical conclusion means the middle class of Britain will be enslaved by the new rulers. And Britain will be raped of its assets - red brick educational establishments will be full of foreign students.

    Enjoy...

  7. #17

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Meanwhile, the UK nips in with its lean and mean competitive currency and cleans up with a balance of trade surplus.
    Says the man who lives in a country that required recent IMF 'assistance'.

  8. #18

    King of updation

    TestMangler - scorchio!

    TestMangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ardbeg, Isle Of Bute, Jock Land.
    Posts
    6,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Meanwhile, the UK nips in with its lean and mean competitive currency and cleans up with a balance of trade surplus.
    Stop with the sarcasm.

    Sooner or later the money men will spot the potential of UK exports of Scones, Jam and Cricket Jumpers to Canada, New Zealand and Nigeria and all these bremoaners will have to concede they were wrong.
    On Desolation Boulevard, they'd light the faded lights.....

  9. #19

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestMangler View Post
    Stop with the sarcasm.

    Sooner or later the money men will spot the potential of UK exports of Scones, Jam and Cricket Jumpers to Canada, New Zealand and Nigeria and all these bremoaners will have to concede they were wrong.
    And 'Scottish' oil. Don't forget the oil.

  10. #20

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Says the man who lives in a country that required recent IMF 'assistance'.
    I know. The funny thing is that the balance of trade surplus (seasonally adjusted) for Ireland hit a record high of €5,051 million in March 2017.

    Ireland Balance of Trade | 1970-2017 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

    Whereas the UK’s deficit on trade in goods and services widened by £2.3 billion to £4.9 billion in March 2017. Imports increased in the month by £2.9 billion to a new record high of £53.9 billion. Exports increased by £0.6 billion to £49.0 billion. It's very odd as our Brexiteer friend s assured us that the more compeititive steling would mean that the UK would export more and import less. But it seems that importas are just costing more. Probably just international élite / EUSSR propaganda.

    United Kingdom Balance of Trade | 1955-2017 | Data | Chart | Calendar
    Where there's muck there's brass.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •