• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pound Euro Exchange Rate Hits New Lows on Wednesday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation rising is when they'd usually look at increasing interest rate to support sterling?

I don't suppose there's anything in any of the election manifestos about returning interest rates to normal (they've been at 'emergency' level since 2008 ) to reward savers, and slow down the reliance on cheap debt fed consumer spending propping up the economy? Thought not.

Then again when they expect to keep increasing the national debt to pay for election promises we should accept that debt is the new way of saving. The end game for the UK, USA and other countries addicted to debt is to default, once the west has offloaded it all to China and Asia. What they gonna do, start a war?
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Sure. Can you mark the decision to hold a referendum and the referendum result on that chart? I'm just trying to demonstrate the positive effect of Brexit on UK competitiveness and the return to a balance of trade surplus. You need to work with me.
      Sure, so long as you mark the same for the FTSE indexes. You can even stick to mid-cap 250 which is a better representation of British businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        Inflation rising is when they'd usually look at increasing interest rate to support sterling?

I don't suppose there's anything in any of the election manifestos about returning interest rates to normal (they've been at 'emergency' level since 2008 ) to reward savers, and slow down the reliance on cheap debt fed consumer spending propping up the economy? Thought not.

Then again when they expect to keep increasing the national debt to pay for election promises we should accept that debt is the new way of saving. The end game for the UK, USA and other countries addicted to debt is to default, once the west has offloaded it all to China and Asia. What they gonna do, start a war?
        There's always the IMF.

Comment

I thought it was the Macron effect? He's all chummy with Mutti and together they're going to build a strong and stable EUSSR. Hence Euro's strength.

blah blah https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...erlin-eurozone

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            I thought it was the Macron effect? He's all chummy with Mutti and together they're going to build a strong and stable EUSSR. Hence Euro's strength.

blah blah https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...erlin-eurozone
            Meanwhile, the UK nips in with its lean and mean competitive currency and cleans up with a balance of trade surplus.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

This seems logical to me, debt is the new saving. Acquire as much debt as possible because current debt levels cannot be paid off- therefore a haircut is a certainty. So to position oneself for maximum benefit take on as much debt as possible.

What might happen is that the debt will be exchanged for land. Britain will end up a Chinese colony, like Australia.

Colonialisation in reverse. Taken to its logical conclusion means the middle class of Britain will be enslaved by the new rulers. And Britain will be raped of its assets - red brick educational establishments will be full of foreign students.

Enjoy...

Comment

Meanwhile, the UK nips in with its lean and mean competitive currency and cleans up with a balance of trade surplus.
                Says the man who lives in a country that required recent IMF 'assistance'.

Comment

Stop with the sarcasm.

Sooner or later the money men will spot the potential of UK exports of Scones, Jam and Cricket Jumpers to Canada, New Zealand and Nigeria and all these bremoaners will have to concede they were wrong.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    Stop with the sarcasm.

Sooner or later the money men will spot the potential of UK exports of Scones, Jam and Cricket Jumpers to Canada, New Zealand and Nigeria and all these bremoaners will have to concede they were wrong.
                    And 'Scottish' oil. Don't forget the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      Says the man who lives in a country that required recent IMF 'assistance'.
                      I know. The funny thing is that the balance of trade surplus (seasonally adjusted) for Ireland hit a record high of €5,051 million in March 2017.

Ireland Balance of Trade | 1970-2017 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

Whereas the UK’s deficit on trade in goods and services widened by £2.3 billion to £4.9 billion in March 2017. Imports increased in the month by £2.9 billion to a new record high of £53.9 billion. Exports increased by £0.6 billion to £49.0 billion. It's very odd as our Brexiteer friend s assured us that the more compeititive steling would mean that the UK would export more and import less. But it seems that importas are just costing more. Probably just international élite / EUSSR propaganda.

United Kingdom Balance of Trade | 1955-2017 | Data | Chart | Calendar

Comment

Working...
                      X