• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B

I've just realised I need a Plan B, to make it sound like Plan A actually involved a bit of planning.

Have these ideas been done?

1. eBay arbitrageur

What I will do is scan local classifieds for items that are priced lower than they are on eBay. Then, if the buy/sell profit is more than the postal cost - I will buy/sell/post and lock in the profit. Time is money so I'll look to outsource the labour ASAP.

2. Value Add stone merchant

What I will do is comb the local beaches for small pieces of broken glass. I will then put them in my blender. Lastly I will glue them to a 1980s style beaded necklace and market it as "Atlantis Neck Wear". I will do my research, I will buy Google data to see where the most hippies are living and will target their local classifieds.

3. Post Redirection

I am going to offer my address (which i will invent to sound good and redirect at the post office). Something like "
    Villa Regale, Ocean View Road". I will then allow you to get your mail sent to me and I will forward to your address. Everything gets opened and repackaged to prevent illegal activity. I will employ local Phillipino maids (they are everywhere in the med) to take care of the repackaging for me- I will employ a local kid to drop off and pick up the packaging to the maids.

4. Kebabs Direct

Ever feel like a kebab on the way home from the pub but there is no kebab shop nearby? No problem, I'm a kebab broker - I match up kebab producers to kebab consumers. I use Deliveroo. My business model is subscription based. As long as subscription income beats Deliveroo expense it's a winner. I aim to be the Uber of the kebab space. The "Mara-Doner".

One or more of these could be a real Plan B.

5. Create a contracting web forum where people can come and post ideas to people who don't give a tulip.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      5. Create a contracting web forum where people can come and post ideas to people who don't give a tulip.
      Whoooooooosshhhh

You're a real "all rounder" aren't you fatty?

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
        Whoooooooosshhhh

You're a real "all rounder" aren't you fatty?
        Another crap sockie account

Comment

I'm guessing FrontToBack is a woman who used to wipe back to front and at some point in her life caught an infection in her nether regions because of it.

Now her username reminds her every day to wipe front to back.

Comment

I would have thought with all of the uncertainty around at the present time there would be far more contracts available so no need for plan B's, appears not tho as speaking to an agent he is saying that the perm market is good but contract market is dead, this is due to the public service companies not being able to offer attractive rates so a smaller contract market being chased by a larger number of contractors.
            Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
              I've just realised I need a Plan B, to make it sound like Plan A actually involved a bit of planning.

Have these ideas been done?

1. eBay arbitrageur

2. Value Add stone merchant

3. Post Redirection

4. Kebabs Direct

One or more of these could be a real Plan B.
              They've all be done to death. They are already Plan A's.

1. The ebay market has been around for so long that the opportunity to arbitrage has been diminished. You'd be better off searching local car-boot sales for someone off-loading their grown-up children's Pokemon trading cards.

2. Making trinkets and jewellery from junk. You can buy this sort of stuff at every market in Europe. Also you'd need to have some practical skills to make something worth buying.

3. Post-redirection. Every business centre in the land does this. There's no money in it. You could create an "Email To Post" service that would allow the customer to "email" a letter ( that you would print, put in an envelope and post ). So if you wanted to send a letter to dear, old, granny you could from the comfort of your iphone. Also handy if you wanted to send a letter from one country to another ( have local offices that do the print-out-and-post in each country, thereby avoiding airmail ).

I once wrote a POC of a Windows Printer driver to do such a thing. It would let you "Print To Post" from Windows. Couldn't be arsed to finish it. Concept is easy enough.

4. Kebabs direct. Well that's Deliveroo. Linking restaurants and take-aways to their customers. They got $275M of funding in August of last year so competing against them would be "a challenge".

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                4. Kebabs direct. Well that's Deliveroo. Linking restaurants and take-aways to their customers. They got $275M of funding in August of last year so competing against them would be "a challenge".

Funny enough, someone has just approached me about a very new startup which has raised £200m to go into this very space. Quite interested in that.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Funny enough, someone has just approached me about a very new startup which has raised £200m to go into this very space. Quite interested in that.
                    If they can sign you and shauny up as anchor customers then they are well placed.

Comment

Working...
                    X