• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The proper way to play chords on the guitar...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH
    If you only play D on 4 strings, you might think it was separate, but if you want to throw in the bass notes, then you're playing a C barred on the 2nd.
    It's not about how you choose to play something, it's knowing what the root is.
    Take G, for example. If you're playing it with a finger on E, A and top E, then you're actually playing an A shape - the three strings in the middle are effectively A -2.
    Not unless you're not entirely sane. A real man would thumb hook the F# on the E string, Giving you F# and A on the bass strings.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 22 May 2017, 16:29. Reason: Keeping the sense (such that there is)
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler
      Not unless you're TestMangler. A real man would thumb hook the F# on the E string, Giving you F# and A on the bass strings.
      If you're playing the F# then you are effectively barring a C, but try to do it properly. (Ask your boyfriend)
      F#, D, F#, A, D, F#

I'm not saying you must do that all the time, I'm saying that if you understand music, then you'll know you can use it.
      Some songs where there is a repeat of a D-E or E-D, I'll use that shape, because then you are just sliding on the neck

I'm from the school of thinking that says you should learn on acoustic, that way you'll have better strength and control when you go electric
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH
        If you're playing the F# then you are effectively barring a C, but try to do it properly. (Ask your boyfriend)
        F#, D, F#, A, D, F#

I'm not saying you must do that all the time, I'm saying that if you understand music, then you'll know you can use it.
        Some songs where there is a repeat of a D-E or E-D, I'll use that shape, because then you are just sliding on the neck

I'm from the school of thinking that says you should learn on acoustic, that way you'll have better strength and control when you go electric
        I understand what you're saying, but playing an open D and thumbing the F# is not 'barring a C' to my mind, which is what you seem to be saying. Playing an open C, sliding it up two frets and barring at the second is 'barring a C'. Not quite the same thing, is it, although, in broad terms the end result is a 'D Chord'.

I asked my boyfriend and he reckons you're a queer for even considering barring an open C shape, unless you play jazz, which amounts to the same thing.

Stek, FFS, learn to play a Bm barred at the second fret and we can ditch this discussion altogether

Comment

You sound like a bunch of fruity jazz players.

Power chord with two notes. All you need.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            You sound like a bunch of fruity jazz players.

Power chord with two notes. All you need.
            Even a power chordist (and I'd include myself in there) needs to stick the 3rd note in there occasionally to distinguish the minor.

Comment

I love the maj, sus4, sus2 combo especially on D.

Comment

Maybe there's an instruction book, like, "Guitar For Jizzmonkeys" that we can get for the mods....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  I love the maj, sus4, sus2 combo especially on D.
                  So does Amy McDonald, but with a capo on the 7th fret.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    So does Amy McDonald, but with a capo on the 7th fret.
                    Caledonia..

Comment

Who needs chords...the first album I played on:

Actually chords did come along at one point:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X