• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would abolishing tution fees REALLY cost?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Millions of jobs? And then when you've been a waiter and haven't got a degree, what are you going to do?
    As automation gathers pace there will be fewer and fewer jobs to do. The very notion of employment will be challenged to some degree. It's going to be very challenging.

You are aware not everyone is capable of getting a degree?

Even then there are some people who do well without one while others do badly with one.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We were talking about people who already go to university and what they should do instead.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        We were talking about people who already go to university and what they should do instead.
        Do an apprenticeship then get a Masters degree. Result you have experience and a degree.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Anyway the reason to means test is because the Duke of Westminster will have no problems putting his children through uni but someone in care doesn't have that same back up. And it's more cost effective for us as a society to give that care kid a lift so they can get a decent job then his children.
          Is it more cost effective to put the care kid through uni rather than the smartest kid?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing just checking that we've accounted for all the variables.

So presumably you are saying that poor kids who wouldn't qualify within a merit based system and aren't prepared to self-fund through loans would be more incentivised to go to uni & get a job, thus not relying on benefits which is what would otherwise happen.

But wouldn't the state also benefit if all the people entering universities started out at a higher level? Wouldn't competition for the 20% free uni places make for everyone entering uni a bit smarter or better educated? If they started out smarter then possibly might the leaving grades improve as well? So more firsts, more 2:1, less 2:2, etc.? And won't smarter people entering the workforce boost the economy more?

Comment

What would abolishing tution fees REALLY cost?

Free places to study medicine and engineering - but if you want to study philosophy or media studies you have to pay.

Let's fund stuff that matters, not Micky Mouse homeothapy!
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              And Germany educates foreigners for more or less free, and in English too. People here would think that was insane, but maybe they think by encouraging students to go there many will settle and Germany benefits from an influx of bright young graduates. In Britain the attitude is "It's discustin. Why should I have to pay for somebody else!".

If I were 18 again I know what I'd do.

A number of American students come over to Germany to avoid fees.

How US students get a university degree for free in Germany
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X