• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would abolishing tution fees REALLY cost?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would abolishing tution fees REALLY cost?

A "reality check" in the BBC suggest that the government would have to put aside an extra £11bn a year to pay for tuition fees, although once those who do not pay back their loans is factored in, this falls to £8bn a year.

However, surely there is a very real possibility that this move will lead to a large rise in the numbers who go to college/university? If so, the provision of yet more free tuition fees is not the only cost that will need to be financed by the public purse, you will have more people not contributing to the economy and paying no taxes for another three years.

The "ageing population" is always the focus when discussing the pressures on the public purse but there is also a big problem at the other end of working life. Most pensioners today started work and paying taxes at 16 or 18. Today, far more do not make any contribution until they are in their early 20s. This would be ok if higher education made people into high earners but it often does not.

Labour's policies are nonsensical but I am not a fan of the Tory policies either. What we really need is subsidy for the students who will benefit our economy, the best and brightest doing the courses in the areas our economy needs and where there is high demand - doctors, nurses, us IT geeks, scientists, engineers etc. For the rest, maybe it makes no sense to have a common fee; some universities provide better value than others.

A few links:

In 1960, only 5% of young people entered higher education; today it is about 40%, with around 400,000 new English undergraduates each year.
    https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ion-fee-pledge

Just graduating from university is no longer enough to get a job. (Has chart)
    Just graduating from university is no longer enough to get a job

A third of working graduates took jobs as cleaners, office juniors and road sweepers six months after leaving university
    Thousands of new graduates out of work, figures show - Telegraph

A report from Which?, the consumer group, raised serious concerns over the value of higher education courses following the imposition of £9,000 annual tuition fees. The study, which was based on a series of large-scale surveys of students and recent graduates, found average workloads of under 30 hours a week - 25 per cent less than the recommended level set in national guidelines.
    Students gaining good degrees with 'little or no work', says Which? - Telegraph

Too many universities teach pointless degrees that offer nothing to their students or society
    Too many universities teach pointless degrees that offer nothing to their students or society
    Last edited by xoggoth; 23 May 2017, 17:10.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

People are taught that student debt isn't really debt so I'm not sure it puts many off. Without fees, you still have to pay for accommodation and have no income for 3 years after all. Successive governments have actively tried to get university education to be the norm.

Bursaries for subjects where we've a shortage seems wise but maybe there are no such subjects.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You are presuming the government won't put some sort of cap on university places - they will - like they currently do with places for healthcare professionals.

They did that before fees came in, and so universities use to fill up places with international students.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Like maybe set up a limited number of scholarships - funded by the government with payment of all tuition and maybe living expenses but only available on application and awarded based on merit?

Comment

Originally posted by MeMeMe1966 View Post
          Like maybe set up a limited number of scholarships - funded by the government with payment of all tuition and maybe living expenses but only available on application and awarded based on merit?
          There are already scholarships for various subjects but you have to search them out.

Comment

but aren't the current scholarships funded by private companies or charities? do the government actually fund any?

Comment

but aren't the current scholarships funded by private companies or charities? do the government actually fund any?
              Yep.

Only through the armed forces.

Comment

so if 400,000 graduates are produced every year and presumably there is an attrition rate where everybody entering uni doesn't graduate then that makes maybe 450K to 500K entering uni every year?

So why not fund 100,000 places and the rest can pay?

i think I like it.

Comment

so if 400,000 graduates are produced every year and presumably there is an attrition rate where everybody entering uni doesn't graduate then that makes maybe 450K to 500K entering uni every year?

So why not fund 100,000 places and the rest can pay?

i think I like it.
                  You mean means testing like they did before?

Also wouldn't it be better to pay for someone to do say Chemistry over History of Art?

Comment

Like maybe set up a limited number of scholarships - funded by the government with payment of all tuition and maybe living expenses but only available as required by industry
                    FTFY.

STEM subjects should be funded as the economy needs them the most. Here in Germany higher education remains free to all. However those not choosing higher education should... what do you call an ausbildung in English? Ich wergessen.. whereby you learn on job but get a recognised qualification at the end.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X