• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What jobs do UK workers actually do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    10 minutes is 10% of an hour?
    That's what you get with many on-shored workers - overpromise, under delivery and attention to detail is not a strong point..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      That's what you get with many on-shored workers - overpromise, under delivery and attention to detail is not a strong point..
      Beat me to it!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        10 minutes is 10% of an hour?

I knew you would pick that up. Couldn't care less about exact number..

Comment

?could anyone explain to me how zero hour contracts actually work?

i don't understand how they factor this into more jobs available when some weeks you might only work 1 or 3 days or in other months you might only work for 2 weeks? where is the stability?

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
            I knew you would pick that up. Couldn't care less about exact number..
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by lucythewolf View Post
              ?could anyone explain to me how zero hour contracts actually work?

i don't understand how they factor this into more jobs available when some weeks you might only work 1 or 3 days or in other months you might only work for 2 weeks? where is the stability?
              Simples - There is work for 20 people in the warehouse, you employ 30 on 0-hour contracts, the first 20 to show up get to work, the rest are sent home. All 30 have a job.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                Simples - There is work for 20 people in the warehouse, you employ 30 on 0-hour contracts, the first 20 to show up get to work, the rest are sent home. All 30 have a job.
                How wide spread is this though? I was on what would now be called a zero hours contract for about 4-years while doing my first degree. It was evening shifts - up to four a week. There was always work and very rarely less than four eveings.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  How wide spread is this though? I was on what would now be called a zero hours contract for about 4-years while doing my first degree. It was evening shifts - up to four a week. There was always work and very rarely less than four eveings.
                  Well according to the article in the OP about 900k people are on 0-hour contracts. How many of them are abusive is hard to tell, but I doubt it's that high. My example was extreme for visualisation purposes.

In reality I believe most of the people on 0-hour contracts are on them by choice, because it suits their needs/lifestyle and not because they can't find full time employment.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    Well according to the article in the OP about 900k people are on 0-hour contracts. How many of them are abusive is hard to tell, but I doubt it's that high. My example was extreme for visualisation purposes.

In reality I believe most of the people on 0-hour contracts are on them by choice, because it suits their needs/lifestyle and not because they can't find full time employment.
                    The main stories of abuse are from large companies like Sports Direct and Amazon who employ people via agencies full time, and from stories about carers whose agencies provide services to local authorities.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

An hour? - more like 30 minutes...
                      You're working too hard
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X