What jobs do UK workers actually do? What jobs do UK workers actually do? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11

    bored now

    eek is always on top

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barrydidit View Post
    10 minutes is 10% of an hour?
    That's what you get with many on-shored workers - overpromise, under delivery and attention to detail is not a strong point..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  2. #12

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    36,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    That's what you get with many on-shored workers - overpromise, under delivery and attention to detail is not a strong point..
    Beat me to it!
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  3. #13

    Banned

    diseasex has more data than eek


    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barrydidit View Post
    10 minutes is 10% of an hour?

    I knew you would pick that up. Couldn't care less about exact number..

  4. #14

    Nervous Newbie

    lucythewolf has no reputation


    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    ?could anyone explain to me how zero hour contracts actually work?

    i don't understand how they factor this into more jobs available when some weeks you might only work 1 or 3 days or in other months you might only work for 2 weeks? where is the stability?

  5. #15

    Double Godlike!

    MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    That's what you get with many on-shored workers - overpromise, under delivery and attention to detail is not a strong point..
    Quote Originally Posted by diseasex View Post
    I knew you would pick that up. Couldn't care less about exact number..

  6. #16

    Contractor Among Contractors

    sal 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucythewolf View Post
    ?could anyone explain to me how zero hour contracts actually work?

    i don't understand how they factor this into more jobs available when some weeks you might only work 1 or 3 days or in other months you might only work for 2 weeks? where is the stability?
    Simples - There is work for 20 people in the warehouse, you employ 30 on 0-hour contracts, the first 20 to show up get to work, the rest are sent home. All 30 have a job.

  7. #17

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Simples - There is work for 20 people in the warehouse, you employ 30 on 0-hour contracts, the first 20 to show up get to work, the rest are sent home. All 30 have a job.
    How wide spread is this though? I was on what would now be called a zero hours contract for about 4-years while doing my first degree. It was evening shifts - up to four a week. There was always work and very rarely less than four eveings.

  8. #18

    Contractor Among Contractors

    sal 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    How wide spread is this though? I was on what would now be called a zero hours contract for about 4-years while doing my first degree. It was evening shifts - up to four a week. There was always work and very rarely less than four eveings.
    Well according to the article in the OP about 900k people are on 0-hour contracts. How many of them are abusive is hard to tell, but I doubt it's that high. My example was extreme for visualisation purposes.

    In reality I believe most of the people on 0-hour contracts are on them by choice, because it suits their needs/lifestyle and not because they can't find full time employment.

  9. #19

    My post count is Majestic

    SueEllen is always on top

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    31,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Well according to the article in the OP about 900k people are on 0-hour contracts. How many of them are abusive is hard to tell, but I doubt it's that high. My example was extreme for visualisation purposes.

    In reality I believe most of the people on 0-hour contracts are on them by choice, because it suits their needs/lifestyle and not because they can't find full time employment.
    The main stories of abuse are from large companies like Sports Direct and Amazon who employ people via agencies full time, and from stories about carers whose agencies provide services to local authorities.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  10. #20

    Godlike

    Whorty - scorchio!

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    5,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    An hour? - more like 30 minutes...
    You're working too hard
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •