• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wild honeybee nest - How to remove?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this:
    Bees

Bees don't cause any problems to your property, and nor are you in danger of being stung if they are left alone and unprovoked. After the summer season the bees will go away and not return to the nesting site the following year. By the time a colony has become obvious its activity will be about to decline naturally. Generally, colonies formed in spring usually decline naturally by late July, if not sooner. Therefore If at all possible always bee nests alone to thrive as their presence is actually beneficial for gardeners and their crop.
    Looks like ignoring them is a good option.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
      Try taking a wee on it.
      I thought that was to relieve hemorrhoid pain? That's what the missus told me last time my grapes flared up.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 25 May 2017, 14:19.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I thought that was to relieve heamarroid pain? That's what the missus told me last time my grapes flared up.
        Are you mad? They're an economic asset in certain niches within the Cheshire middle middle class market segment.

Comment

we've spoken to two Beekeepers and leaving them is not an option apparently as they may cause significant damage. Unfortunately it's got to be done sooner rather than later via pest control. Not covered via house insurance either.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Where in the UK are you?

I am also interested in what damage the be keepers think they will cause? ( I am not awhere of any) also this early in the season a colony of bees can sell for £200. Have the beekeepers confirmed they are honey bees? They could be tree bees (although unlikley this early on.)

As it is this early, they will swarm later in the summer (no harm to you), current queen will disappear and other cast swarms later. You may be lucky and the bees that remain don't produce a succesful mated queen for the winter and the colony will die out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hairlocks View Post
              ..this early in the season a colony of bees can sell for £200. ...
              Stick them on ebay, buyer collects.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

https://www.bbka.org.uk/help/find_a_...oordinator.php Have you tried your local swarm collector.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  Three days ago a very large swarm of honeybees set up home in our gables where we'd had starlings nesting all spring.

This is twenty feet above the ground at one corner of the house so it's not the easiest to get to. If it was a wasp's next we could just smoke them out.

The pest controller said he wouldn't touch them and a man from the British Beekeepers Association says we'll need to destroy the hive which will require scaffolding and quite possibly stain ceilings with insecticide. It will also be expensive.

Has anyone had a similar bee nest removed?
                  Why do you want to remove the lovely bees from your house?

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                    Why do you want to remove the lovely bees from your house?
                    Cause they make a constant buzzing noise and are ******* annoying.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I'm probably the only one that hasn't already spotted it but Innerest was Gittens Gal favourite term as well wasn't it?
                      Me too... I declared this in another"inneresting" post a while back 😷
                      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                      X