• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wild honeybee nest - How to remove?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild honeybee nest - How to remove?

Three days ago a very large swarm of honeybees set up home in our gables where we'd had starlings nesting all spring.

This is twenty feet above the ground at one corner of the house so it's not the easiest to get to. If it was a wasp's next we could just smoke them out.

The pest controller said he wouldn't touch them and a man from the British Beekeepers Association says we'll need to destroy the hive which will require scaffolding and quite possibly stain ceilings with insecticide. It will also be expensive.

Has anyone had a similar bee nest removed?
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Three days ago a very large swarm of honeybees set up home in our gables where we'd had starlings nesting all spring.

This is twenty feet above the ground at one corner of the house so it's not the easiest to get to. If it was a wasp's next we could just smoke them out.

The pest controller said he wouldn't touch them and a man from the British Beekeepers Association says we'll need to destroy the hive which will require scaffolding and quite possibly stain ceilings with insecticide. It will also be expensive.

Has anyone had a similar bee nest removed?
    Send a Brexiteer or Muslim (depending on your political views) up a ladder to deal with in by hand.

Comment

Why wouldnt pest control touch em?

Comment

Pressure washer?

Comment

Out of innerest, why are you concerned about them? Unlike wasps, they are not agressive. I know some species of bees can be destructive - there are some that burrow into the walls of buildings; most other wild bees I've come across burrow into the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            They are endangered.

If you do any gardening you would have seen in the last decade or so stuff on bees being endangered.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
              Out of innerest, why are you concerned about them? Unlike wasps, they are not agressive. I know some species of bees can be destructive - there are some that burrow into the walls of buildings; most other wild bees I've come across burrow into the ground.
              I'm probably the only one that hasn't already spotted it but Innerest was Gittens Gal favourite term as well wasn't it?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                They are endangered.
                Go here and ask someone to come and get them for you...

Beekeeping Forum

Dont harm them they are very endangered and we need them.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  £1000 fine apparently if he kills the hive.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'm probably the only one that hasn't already spotted it but Innerest was Gittens Gal favourite term as well wasn't it?
                    I think someone else pointed it out a week or so ago.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X