• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is JezzyBull the modern Neville

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is JezzyBull the modern Neville

Corbyn: Britain's wars have made us a target for jihadists | Daily Mail Online

Britain's wars have made us a target for jihadists, says Corbyn... but he voted against 13 key anti-terror laws
    Labour leader will claim Britain's foreign policy has heightened terror risk
    He will also accuse Tories of trying to protect Britain 'on the cheap'
    His speech comes after national campaigning was postponed for three days
    In my hand I have a snivelling surrender note!

Though some say Chamberlin was buying time for us to armour up.

FFS the cause of terror is nutters who want to win at any cost. As the nutters want to exterminate anyone who doesn't agree with the then there is no negotiating with them.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Corbyn: Britain's wars have made us a target for jihadists | Daily Mail Online

In my hand I have a snivelling surrender note!

Though some say Chamberlin was buying time for us to armour up.

FFS the cause of terror is nutters who want to win at any cost. As the nutters want to exterminate anyone who doesn't agree with the then there is no negotiating with them.
    I think Chamberlain is maligned somewhat. Firstly it was believed that a modern aerial bombing campaign would be significantly more devastating than it turned out to be. Secondly, there was no public appetite for war. Thirdly, as you say, rearmament was started.

There were of course several failures, including perhaps the refusal to support the Spanish government in the Civil War, and later the stopping of the Saar Offensive (Anglo-French decision) but hindsight is a wonderful thing. And who is to say whether Czechoslovakia was a mistake or not?

And these comparisons with current times are as useful as a Brexit Golf Club bar bill analogy.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post

And these comparisons with current times are as useful as a Brexit Golf Club bar bill analogy.
      Actually I believe they are very helpful in this case.

Decisions for going to war should be made with all the facts and as much experience as possible.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Interestingly enough on LBC they were seriously talking about internment.

Scary times.

Comment

Actually I believe they are very helpful in this case.

Decisions for going to war should be made with all the facts and as much experience as possible.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Interestingly enough on LBC they were seriously talking about internment.

Scary times.
        Here is where I think the Nazi appeasement analogy fails. UK and France failed to stand up to Nazis over Czechoslovakia and then had to stand up to them later.

The modern day is a bit different. It is not that the UK and other Western countries failed to stand up to Islamic terrorism early. It is that the UK and other countries engage in wars in the Muslim world (e.g. Iraq) to remove non-Islamist states, e.g. Ba'athist Iraq, resulting in these conditions:

- Resentment and grievances among elements of the Muslim population against the West, after seeing the widespread death and destruction
        - The removal of functioning state authority that had both the will and ability to suppress Islamic extremism
        - A disillusionment in the Middle Eastern population in political positions such as Ba'athism and pan-Arab nationalism, which created a space for Islamism.

Now you may not agree with the analysis, but hopefully yo can see that the parallel with 1930s appeasement isn't a great one here. To labour the point: appeasing (to use your term) Saddam wouldn't have led to an even greater ISIS threat.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Here is where I think the Nazi appeasement analogy fails. UK and France failed to stand up to Nazis over Czechoslovakia and then had to stand up to them later..
          Godwin's law strikes at the forth post.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Godwin's law strikes at the forth post.
            No. The first post was about Chamberlain and appeasement. You really must try harder.

Comment

That's the result, not the cause. It is the same result that's been played out in Palestine / Israel for decades.

Jezzy offers 'reason' and the MSM thwarts it as lefty agenda. You see what's happening here don't you? And Murdoch is pi$$ing himself no doubt, as his readers continue to soak it up like gospel.
              Last edited by scooterscot; 26 May 2017, 11:21.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I think that ISIS will go on ISISing people to death no matter what we, or anyone else, have done, are doing, or will do. They are irrational deluded monsters who will kill anything that is outside their extremely narrow world viewpoint whenever they find the opportunity to do so.

The only good ISIS supporter is a dead ISIS supporter.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  That's the result, not the cause. It is the same result that's been played out in Palestine / Israel for decades.

Jezzy offer 'reason' and the MSM thwarts it as lefty agenda. You see what's happening here don't you? And Murdoch is pi$$ing himself no doubt, as his readers continue to soak it up like gospel.
                  Their intention (IS etc) is to conquer the world with force. What would you give them to stop? Would it work?

Comment

Their intention (IS etc) is to conquer the world with force. What would you give them to stop? Would it work?
                    I'd take away their money and weapons from their Saudi sponsors and watch them disappear into oblivion overnight.

And for those that seek finance elsewhere:

Comment

Working...
                    X