• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

360 feedback

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

360 feedback

Newbie to this forum and contracting.

I've just been asked to provide 360 feedback for a permie colleague but another contractor has said it could be risky in terms of IR35 status.

She is saying that is inappropriate to be involved with HR activities unless you've been specifically hired as line managers.

Do I provide feedback or opt out due to my contractor status?

Contractors shouldn't give feedback to permies IR35 or not IMO. Whole host of reasons. Decline and move on.

Its not an IR35 issue. 360 degree feedback can look to suppliers for feedback as well.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 May 2017, 15:53.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Quote them 360 quid for the work and request a purchase order.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with you as a consultant giving professional feedback to someone. As long as you make the position clear.

Comment

Originally posted by nervouspilchard View Post
          She is saying that is inappropriate to be involved
          Is she a looker? - so very few are in IT
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by nervouspilchard View Post
            Newbie to this forum and contracting.

I've just been asked to provide 360 feedback for a permie colleague but another contractor has said it could be risky in terms of IR35 status.

She is saying that is inappropriate to be involved with HR activities unless you've been specifically hired as line managers.

Do I provide feedback or opt out due to my contractor status?
            Same thing happened to me last week. I said no. One of the reasons I became a contractor was to avoid this kind of oxygen sucking activity. I used the IR35 excuse out of sheer laziness.

Comment

When asked to give feed back I tend use performance dance to express my thoughts.

Comment

Try to have social skills

You could consider doing it informally, over a lunch or something.

If they asked you, they respect your opinion and you could use this opportunity to build a relationship which could keep you in work.

Or scream "IR35" and reenforce that you are not "one of them".

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                  You could consider doing it informally, over a lunch or something.

If they asked you, they respect your opinion and you could use this opportunity to build a relationship which could keep you in work.

Or scream "IR35" and reenforce that you are not "one of them".
                  Or you could just start a 'slippery slope' conversation.
                  Then you get asked, 'oooh could you have a quick look at this...'
                  Then get the evil eye if you say 'errr...actually....'

I find it easier to keep things uncomplicated, but each to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Quote them 360 quid for the work and request a purchase order.
                    And then sub it out to PC for £9 ph.

Comment

Working...
                    X