• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So who did BA outsource their IT to?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

*At this point I diplomatically left the room, as it was becoming increasingly difficult to stifle my laughter.
    Had a not dissimilar experience. They had decided to replace the air con in a comms room ,one they were trying to get me to move my servers to. They couldn't be safer than ins this 'data centre' an tower office block in the middle of a city people try to blow up without any generators.

While they replaced the air con, they had turned the halon off, they hadn't turned the tower block's fire alarm system off, busy soldering new pipes, fire detection kicks in and the whole block triggered every companies comms room EPO hello darkness my old friend!

Luckily it was warm that day and they were serving ice cream in the car park while we waited 4 hours for the site to come online again.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      British Airways: Computer problems cause flight delays
      British Airways: Computer problems cause flight delays - BBC News
      From what I was told, it was a choice of several Indian outfits, and they picked the cheapest. And they're tied in for a bloody long time so BA passengers (if there are any left after this latest clustershag) can expect more of the same for a while yet.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Comment

Sir, our upgradation project last night was not a major success. I will revert back accordingly with plan of action. In the meantime, please do the needful.

Yours truly,

Twat Computing Services

Comment

Turns out that some well known router/switch/firewall devices suffer from an issue that if they start up with insufficient voltage, then the DIMM cards in them get permanently fried.

Is that a problem in reality. Well, when you power down a whole datacentre - say for a "DR powerdown test" - then power up all the devices all at once - then all the devices start drawing their peak power during their startup sequence.

What happens to the average voltage....

You'd think that those in charge of "powerdown events" would be aware of this - to prevent nuking a truckload of devices

Comment

We had a major code release Friday night, the biggest yet, however our systems are fully functional, the new improvements have been noticed by end users and praise fills my mailbox. Nothing to do with BA, I work for a client selling flatpack furniture, I just wanted to balance out the epic failure from BA. [emoji39]
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                We had a major code release Friday night, the biggest yet, however our systems are fully functional, the new improvements have been noticed by end users and praise fills my mailbox. Nothing to do with BA, I work for a client selling flatpack furniture, I just wanted to balance out the epic failure from BA. [emoji39]
                But still there's a screw missing.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  But still there's a screw missing.
                  Missing or loose?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I guess they outsourced their business continuity to TCS as well
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Friends flying out to play a gig today:
                      A good BCP would have thought of this. Oh wait..,
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X