• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evil EU dictatorship strikes again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evil EU dictatorship strikes again

EU axes geo-blocking: Upsets studios, delights consumers

Analysis The European Parliament has approved a draft law that geo-blocking, the act of offering an online content service in one European Union (EU) country and that country alone, will be scrapped in the first half of next year.

Coupled with the recent law to end mobile roaming charges in the EU as of next month, the OTT industry as a whole stands to flourish in Europe over the next few years. However, the losers here will be the content creators, which argue that the removal of geo-blocking will weaken the financial value of content, as well as the pay TV operators, as the ruling will trigger a small spate of cord cutting for consumers with two or more properties in multiple EU countries. But the move is also a hammer blow to content pirates.

Of course no one wants to upset US studios, but those in Hollywood have always limited distribution to a local country inside the EU, believing they can get more money by licensing movies exclusively in each territory. The other side of the argument believes distributing content evenly will lead to more jobs and economic growth. And those studios will have more customers but less exclusivity and they can always ensure exclusive rights in a particular language which solves the problem for Europe."

Source: EU axes geo-blocking: Upsets studios, delights consumers • The Register

It's precisely for these kind of reasons this country voted for Brexit - say NO to Diktat from Brussels, support geo-blocking on Netflix!!!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    EU axes geo-blocking: Upsets studios, delights consumers

Analysis The European Parliament has approved a draft law that geo-blocking, the act of offering an online content service in one European Union (EU) country and that country alone, will be scrapped in the first half of next year.

Coupled with the recent law to end mobile roaming charges in the EU as of next month, the OTT industry as a whole stands to flourish in Europe over the next few years. However, the losers here will be the content creators, which argue that the removal of geo-blocking will weaken the financial value of content, as well as the pay TV operators, as the ruling will trigger a small spate of cord cutting for consumers with two or more properties in multiple EU countries. But the move is also a hammer blow to content pirates.

Of course no one wants to upset US studios, but those in Hollywood have always limited distribution to a local country inside the EU, believing they can get more money by licensing movies exclusively in each territory. The other side of the argument believes distributing content evenly will lead to more jobs and economic growth. And those studios will have more customers but less exclusivity and they can always ensure exclusive rights in a particular language which solves the problem for Europe."

Source: EU axes geo-blocking: Upsets studios, delights consumers • The Register

It's precisely for these kind of reasons this country voted for Brexit - say NO to Diktat from Brussels, support geo-blocking on Netflix!!!
    People voted Brexit to trash the economy and make Britain leaner and meaner.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      People voted Brexit to trash the economy and make Britain leaner and meaner.
      Why is three.ie and meteor.ie don't seem to be doing this at least for AYCE data etc?

Using my three.co.uk sim here and feel at home I have AYCE data here zero extra. Just bought a three.ie AYCE sim and will get charged in UK a pound a MB! Meteor a bit cheaper but what does 'ending roaming charges mean? Means no charge for roaming but we'll charge more per MB...

This country! Even costs me 19c per go to use my debit card contactless! Fecking AIB....

And €8.50 for some corn plasters! And a bag of Munchies €2.99. £1.58 in Tesco at home!

Don't start me on the Docs, €60 a visit on top of PRSI and USC, and Laya Health care and prescriptions capped at a mere €144 a month, whoop-di-doo!

VRT and NCT - kin ell! nice 3 litre car, nothing special, can be €2335 a year in NCT (Road Tax)

And you pay to have your bins emptied!

EIRE - Everything Is Really Expensive....

Love it here tho - hahaha!

Comment

Another good reason for Brexit. We must protect the offshore profits of Vodafone and discourage the Brits from roaming Europe with their phones when they should stay at home and enjoy the delights of Clacton-on-Sea.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The sooner you guys escape Doomed™ Brexit Britain the better eh?

If we can assist in any way, gives us a shout, nothing to much trouble to help a Bremoaner realise their EU dream.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            The sooner you guys escape Doomed™ Brexit Britain the better eh?

If we can assist in any way, gives us a shout, nothing to much trouble to help a Bremoaner realise their EU dream.

It is nice here but don't worry. I have already used my postal vote to vote Labour.

But if you are so keen to leave the EU right now, try Saudi Arabia. You'll like the whole capital and corporal punishment thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Another good reason for Brexit. We must protect the offshore profits of Vodafone and discourage the Brits from roaming Europe with their phones when they should stay at home and enjoy the delights of Clacton-on-Sea.
              Indeed. And why should we get the same content on Netflix when we pay the same price? We're British dammit! We invented the internet! And the telephone! And movies!
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Geo blocking is sometimes necessary for small companies, like mine, whose business is only really relevant to their native country. Why should they have to pay a big premium on their insurance to cater for the unlikely prospect of a purchase from outside the UK? Perhaps they will rectify this by making us all have EU wide insurance even when we don't need it - driving up our costs for zero gain.

Another failure to take account of the fact that the EU countries have differing economies, that much business is not EU wide. Another good reason to get out.

PS If you also have a small business and get an order from Romania, I wouldn't fulfill it if I were you.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                X